Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in the process of stocking a 20 gal high tank. My initial plans were to have 12 ember tetras, 3 ottos, 2 german rams and 10 amano shrimp. My filtration is a 2213 eheim, the tank is moderately planted (mostly stems) and has 48watts of t5 HO lighting +18 watts t8. I figured that with the faster growth of the plants, I would be able to have more shrimp, but the LFS owner told me that 4-5 amanos is plenty. Is this true? I guess I'm picturing the tanks with cherries covering the bottoms and am confused as to the difference in stocking.
Thanks
Scouter

·
Registered
102 Posts
I have cherries and there are millions of them!! (well, hundreds if not thousands ;))

They are in a 70g that I just re-scaped and opened up a bit and I am actually shocked to see how many there really are. Way too many, I think. They are almost covering the bottom (and the plants and the driftwood) I have been giving away 25 here and 25 there, now I'm ready to just start tossing them!

If amanos breed anything like these guys, why bother spending money on a bunch - you'll soon have more than you want, IMO.

Cheers,
Ci

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
well I was just wondering if it had to do with how large amanos get. Don't they get larger than cherries? could this be why I was advised not to get more than 5?

Scouter

·
Registered
4,116 Posts
He was right to suggest about 5. But he assumed you didn't have any algae issues.

If you have visible algae you need as many amanos as you can afford to buy. 100 is a good number if your tank is covered with algae (and I'm not kidding). But keep in mind that after they eat all the algae (if you have enough Amanos that is) you will have to either remove them or feed them. If you don't feed them they will start eating your moss.

Combining Amanos with smaller shrimp is an excellent idea that I have talked about before. The smaller shrimp "process" the "waste" of the Amanos and the snails take care if it even further. Almost a perfect processing line.

Even the largest Amanos that I've seen (about 5 years old and measuring good 2" long!) are not agressive toward anything.

--Nikolay

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have cherries and there are millions of them!! (well, hundreds if not thousands ;))

They are in a 70g that I just re-scaped and opened up a bit and I am actually shocked to see how many there really are. Way too many, I think. They are almost covering the bottom (and the plants and the driftwood) I have been giving away 25 here and 25 there, now I'm ready to just start tossing them!

If amanos breed anything like these guys, why bother spending money on a bunch - you'll soon have more than you want, IMO.

Cheers,
Ci
Amano shrimp won't reproduce in a freshwater tank. They have a planktonic phase requiring salt water.

well I was just wondering if it had to do with how large amanos get. Don't they get larger than cherries? could this be why I was advised not to get more than 5?

Scouter
Amanos are larger than RCS.
Amanos 5cm
RCS 3cm

·
Registered
733 Posts
In my 38-gallon, I have 6 amanos and a few Red Cherry Shrimp (sure the RCS will multiply soon). Other than that, I have 3 SAEs, 2 Bristle Nose Plecos, 8 otos, 4 angels, 2 Harlequin Rasboras, 5 Rummy nose Tetras and 2 German Blue Rams.

·
Registered
68 Posts
yeah, for a 20 high id probably get around 6ish just to make sure everything is clean. if there isn't any algae then make sure to add extra food like blanched lettuce or zucchini. the otos will also benefit from the added zucchini.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts