Aquatic Plant Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

Was wondering how to make the best soil for my black water crypts like C. cordata.
I used to think, just take some Magnolia and Oak leaves and throw them in some clay mix for aquatic, add water and watch.
But now I am thinking, should I have composted the leaves? Is beech really that important to the mix that I can't get away with just using Magnolia and Oak?
What if I use Almond leaves?

If I should compost, how can I do that on a small scale, indoors?
Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
5,865 Posts
Composting does seem to be key. I think any acidic leaf will work, but Beech should be pretty easy to find, especially this time of year. They're the last trees to drop their leaves.

Just fill a container with leaves and RO water, put the lid on it and let it decompose. Poke a few holes in the top so it can breath.

·
Registered
467 Posts
If you can come up with an old coffee grinder or food processor, I should think shredding the leaves would help speed the process along.

As I posted in another message today, Jan kept a tub of composting beech leaves in water under his bench. When he needed some, he'd just reach in grab a small handful and top dress his plants with the leaves. I imagine his was the long slow method of harvesting leaves and dumping them in the tub where they were basically just there until he needed them.

Cheers.
Jim

1 - 3 of 3 Posts