Aquatic Plant Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am planning to setup another tank and have been searching this site for what is the 'best' type of filter that I can get and maybe cheap too. It takes forever to read everyone single post/thread (I've searched/read at least 20-30 thread. So I was thinking, maybe it may be easier if we can get some thread going that can get ONLY PERSONAL experiences of canister filters that might help beginners and other members in the future ( like myself ) look for canister filters.

Just copy and paste below to start your post... Please limit on other things than what below, unless you think it might help with the process of looking for other filters as well. Thanks!

Name/Brand of Canister Filter:
Price you bought for (if it's really cheap, tell why):
Where you bought it:
Pros:
Cons:
Recommend?:

Name/Brand of Canister Filter:
Hagan Fluval 305
Price you bought for: $35 used
Where you bought it:Local Fish Store
Pros:Quite powerful, does exceptionally well for my 29 gal with mechanical filtration. Quiet and reliable.
Cons: Priming and starting is a pain in the butt, however I found that I just fill the inlet with water with a cup of water then push the inlet under the surface of water to let it 'automatically' fill up the canister. I don't like the ribbed hoses. Seems like a lot of debris build up between the cracks of those ribbed sides and those debris are pushed out every I turn on and off the filter.
Recommend?: I would recommended for those who have the money to buy this. Very efficient.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Name/Brand of Canister Filter: Magnum 350
Price you bought for (if it's really cheap, tell why): $90
Where you bought it:petsmart, bring a printout from their online store it knocked about thirty dollars off for me, nearly equaling online retailers.
Pros:easy to tear down and clean. Transparent canister allows for easy visual inspection. Media chamber is so so.
Cons:Many parts to lose.....Crappy hose disconnects, advantage eheim.more media in the canister would be nice.
Recommend?: if the hose disconnects rivaled eheim, then yes.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Name/Brand of Canister Filter: AquaOne Aquis Advance 750
Price: $135 Australian. Half the price of a similar capacity Eheim or Fluval, etc...
Where you bought it: The Reef Shop Online
Pros: Easy to use, push button primer system, taps are a reasonable distance apart making hose connection straight forward, simple to clean.
Cons: Haven't found any, yet...
Recommend?: To be honest, this is my first ever canister, but based on price, features etc, I would recommend to anyone. Highly underrated, IMO.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts