Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What about the after market filters that are comparible in ability to the Eheim? On eBay they have a no name filter with 4 media baskets that cycles 317-360 gph. The ability of this filter is better to that than of the Eheim's but I'd imagine it would be a sacrifice in value due to the "name brand" status. Part availablity is also important I assume. However, if it comes down to the actual price of it all, this "odyessa" filter sells for approx. $65 while the Eheim, new is around $230. Any thoughts....

·
Registered
5,309 Posts
Hi BassMan,

I briefly looked at those too; especially since some of the "no names" that actually use name brand media sizes. However, because filters are mechanical, parts like impellers and fittings wear out. Also I occasionally am clumsy and break or loose parts when servicing these things. I became concerned about the availability and pricing of parts (impellers, fittings, etc.) and technical support. I eventually went will a lower cost "name brand" that had good parts availability and great support (Marineland).

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
How much does the gph rate really influence the quality of filtration in a 72 gallon tank? What would be a reasonable flow rate to provide for proper fertilization and fish stamina?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts