Aquatic Plant Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI all!

Need advise on filter choice.. for a 180x60x60cm (6x2x2ft) tank, which one is a better filtration system? I will be stocking with messy fish (I.e. koi - I know kois are for ponds)..

do I go with a sump or a cannister filter?

if cannister, which one?

cheers!

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
Definately a sump, Koi produce huge bioloads. You should also add a FBF to reduce ammonia/nitrites, but remember the water coming out of it lacks oxygen so you'll need to arerate it well before it goes back into the tank. Meanwhile, you could use emersed Spathiphyllum wallisii to help reduce nitrates.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
oh i see! thanks Raul! I am currently gathering as much info as i can before going out and buying the stuff... i am savng up for this bigger tank (6x2x2)..

sorry but what is an FPBF?

·
Premium Member
3,966 Posts
When you say "sump" you are talking about a wet/dry or trickle filter, correct? If so, I would agree with you. These filters oxygenate the water as well as function as large biofilters. Should work well with your koi and large tank.

Will you be keeping plants in this aquarium? If not, you may want to consider a plant filter in a section of the sump, depending on how large it is. Set it up on a reverse daylight schedule and drop in some floating, fast-growing plants such as Ceratophyllum.

Good luck and be sure to post pictures.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts