Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
personally my choice would be black, grey, or blue. And most like black would win still

·
Premium Member
7,475 Posts
Black or dark blue

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
Dark driftwood? Green plants? Cardinal tetras? Sounds like a recipe for a _white_ background. Do not be afraid to try something new.

Personally, I think black backgrounds are best reserved for this layouts with complex or highly colorful stem plant groupings.

But this is an ultra flexible rule of thumb, and I've seen successful applications of all sorts of colors ranging from white to yellow to red to violet to blue to black. Try them all and find out what has the right "feel" you want to express in your layout.

Also, when asking a question like this, a photo of the tank would be nice.

Carlos

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I don't really like the cork thing and not enough moss for a moss background, I know I can grow it but I'm lazy, I want to just stick a piece of paper on :)

·
Registered
140 Posts
I tried white and it ended up looking green from the light reflected off the plants, but it still looked good. I have a similar setup, no background looks good if there is no equipment visible. Currently I have a blue background. Black is good but the driftwood isn't as visible with it.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Try something new :) Black and blue is IMO boring (to much tanks with this background).
Go light grey background and 6500-8000K bulbs :)

·
Registered
12 Posts
i agree with tsunami.

if your tank is "full" of plants the black background is best.

but when a lot of your background is visible a "neutral" off white helps highlight what in the tank, and provides reflected light (good for photography). avoid any hint of yellow.

have a look at daniel larrsons tank AGA 2004, nice.
little too much pink (grolux?) but you get the idea.

http://showcase.aquatic-gardeners.org/2004.cgi?&Scale=3&op=showcase&category=0&vol=2&id=136

·
Registered
2,173 Posts
Turtlehead,

If you're lazy and just want to use paper, I'd go with one of those that has the gradiated (is that a word?) blue background on one side and a black on the other. In my opinion and experience, Cardinals are more comfortable and show better in a darker environment. Although they tend to show up in photos better against a lighter background. :)

Best,
Phil

·
Registered
310 Posts
Background Choice

Hello,

My personel choice would be using bark. But again as you can not completely fill the background with bark, first you paint it black. You can flatten the bark under water by putting some weight on it and increasing it day by day. You can fix some suckers with nylon thread here and there on the backside of the bark and attach to the glass. I also grow microsorum and anubias varieties (mostly smaller species) on these barks. This way you will also be able to grow plants on the sides or back wall of the tank. I like heavily planted tanks and this is realy ideal for people like me.

YILDIRIM

1 - 19 of 19 Posts