Aquatic Plant Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, with Thanksgiving just around the corner, we'll be making a feast for our aquatic critters at this month's meeting! This year we'll be featuring veggie-based foods, which I have determined are less likely to break my (replacement) blender. Everyone who comes should bring an ingredient to contribute - see the list below.

If anyone has a food dehydrator they could bring for the meeting, that would be great. If not, we'll have to use an oven :)

As usual, anyone who wants to swap plants is welcome to bring them along.

Here's a short list of ingredient suggestions. Please let us know here what you'll be bringing so five people don't bring the same thing :) If you have any other suggestions feel free to mention them.

(defrosted, blanched, or powdered veggies are acceptable. Please don't bring them raw - we need them to be mushable for the project!)

Carrots
Spinach
Peas
Green Beans
Pumpkin/winter squash
Garlic
Alfalfa
Rice Flour
Soybean Meal
Egg White (to use as binder and add a bit of protein)
Spirulina
Vitamin/mineral supplements (oyster shell calcium is good for shrimp foods)

Hope to see you all there!

·
Registered
894 Posts
I think I can make it on this month's meeting, yay! I'll (double) confirm again in the next few days and will post what I can bring...

Michael, you should have filed for the 18 thru 27 so you can join us in the meeting :)

- Message posted using Tapatalk app via iPad -

·
Premium Member
1,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, Michael, can't you bail out of higher education a couple days early and come hang out with us? We're a lot more fun than medical research, I promise!

John, good to hear you can (probably) come! Been awhile since we've seen you :)

Luke, I'll mark you down for the soy and spinach! See you soon!

·
Registered
894 Posts
Ok, it's now confirmed and I'll be coming on this weekend's meeting, yay!... I'll bring some baby carrots (cooked?), garlic and probably other ingredients (still have to dig in to the fridge/pantry) for the fish food making...

See you all there!

·
Premium Member
1,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Cooked baby carrots would be great. See you there!

Today I received in the mail my contributions: a pound each of powdered alfalfa leaf, powdered wheat grass, and powdered kelp. :)

·
Registered
147 Posts
So, I think the food is popular, several shrimp and snails have been chewing on it, but the issue is that it hasn't broken down in about 48 hours... I guess the dehydration process might have made it too hard for it to soften up in water... Any ideas?

·
Premium Member
1,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That's actually fairly common with shrimp-specific foods - they don't tend to break down quickly. My azoo shrimp foods, Mosura brand CRS food, etc. all do the same. I think the idea is that one doesn't want the food to break into a bunch of little particles that get caught in the substrate where the shrimp can't get to them, and then make ammonia. Usually if I still see a piece of food in the tank that long after it's been offered, I take it as a sign of overfeeding and use less next time.

In any case, the slow breakdown might indicate too much egg in the mix - egg acts as a binder and all.

I tossed a piece into my pleco tank and they seem to be enjoying themselves :)

Anybody else try the food out yet?

·
Registered
894 Posts
Mine was also bone-dry, I left it drying/cooking in the oven (190F) for about 7-8hrs O.O... I dropped small pieces in one tank and the macro shrimps seems to like it :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts