Aquatic Plant Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Saturday's (8/22) meeting will be held at my place in Fairfield, CT (shoot me a PM or email at [email protected] if you need the address). The meeting starts at 2pm and the agenda is as follows:

1. Vote on joining the NEC and, if the vote is in favor, organize application and representation, etc.
2. Draw up a schedule for the next 6 mos. November will be our fish-food-making meeting, beyond that we don't have many plans for the winter. Unfortunately collecting trips don't work so well in the cold half of the year...
3. Short presentation: design principles as applied to the planted tank (courtesy of yours truly) with ensuing discussion

Also, as a heads up: this weekend is the NJAS (North Jersey Aquarium Society) Aquatic Weekend - there'll be a convention & vendor room all weekend with an auction on Sunday. I'm still debating the relative merits of attending the auction (pro: buying and selling stuff - con: driving to Jersey).

·
Premium Member
1,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, sorry. I always do that, every single year - it's the "Oct" in "October" that gets me.
You coming to the meeting? :)

·
Registered
147 Posts
Definitely! I'm still growing out my new rotalas so no trimmings yet, but next month I'll have a ton of r. colorata and r. green "narrow leaf."

I'll bring some snacks instead.

·
Premium Member
1,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sooo, the official vote was in favor of joining the NEC (I'll work out the application paperwork ASAP). No decision on our representative as of yet. Any volunteers?

Meeting Schedule for the winter season is as follows:

November 19 @ 2pm - Thanksgiving fish-food-making meet. This year we may try making shrimp food if I can find a recipe
No meeting in Decemer due to Xmas
January 21 @ 2pm - Emersed plant workshop. We had one of these last winter, but we have a lot of new members since then.
February 18 @ ? - Some kind of event. Perhaps we can organize an auction of some sort to raise some club funds.
March 17 @ 2pm - field trip! We'll be carpooling to shop either at a fish store in NYC or maybe at Frank's Aquarium on Long Is.
March 23-25 - NEC annual convention in Cromwell, CT. We've been invited to set up a planted tank display at the show. Maybe, since we'll hopefully be a member club by then, we can even do a planted tank talk or scaping workshop or something.
April 21 @ 2pm - not sure what we're doing yet.

Presentation on design principles was well-received. Luke took a picture of us viewing it in my messy basement :p Overall conclusion was that I should get a projector and put a pull-down screen over the AquaVision, since my laptop is too small to squint at. I'll put it on my list for when I'm independently wealthy ;)

The giant attack prawn also continues to fascinate everyone. Next project: build a treadmill for it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts