Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am about to start the PPs-pro ferts and I was wondering if I should remove my carbon filter? Will it affect my ferts in anyway?

Thanks

·
Registered
581 Posts
Yes, I would remove the carbon as it tends to filter out some of the nutrients you put in the tank from fertilizing.

However, the carbon only stays active for about a month....I believe that old carbon will actually begin to leach its absorbed substance, in particular, phosphates

Purigen would be better if you want to fill in the void.

·
Registered
581 Posts
I am sure some local fish stores will carry it. I think Petsmart also carries, however, the closest one to me doesn't. Kinda weird.

You can always call around and see, if not, you can get some from anywhere online. It might be good to check online just for a price comparison before you shop in the lfs.

If you buy, it might be better to get the ones that come in the baggy already.

Do you have a canister filter or hob?

Good luck!

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
HOB with my planted tank. its the aquaclear 50 i think its 200gph and my tank is a 30g but I have it set on the lowest setting due to bottom disturbance. I was thinking of getting a powerhead to really help circulate the ferts. What do you think?

·
Registered
581 Posts
I think aquaclears are great HOB filters as they allow some customization just like a canister. Just toss the baggie of carbon and you can replace it with purigen or whatever you want as your choice. You can put bio balls between the baggie and the foam or ceramic rings. Just several options.

water circulation and flow are very good to have. I would suggest getting a Koralia as they have strong flow however, gentle enough for the plants.

You can find Koralia's in the lfs or online. The best price I have found is here

http://shop.bhg.com/product/reptile/206822/koralia-koralia-pump-power-head.html

I have 2 koralia 1's in my 130g but I know some people actually have bigger in their smaller tanks. Might want to get a consensus on which one. I would maybe go with a koralia 1 in one of the bottom corners or something.

Hope this helps!

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
the purigen info on the seachem website says it removes nitrates, etc which is basically the macros i will be adding with ferts. Or am I wrong? Also doesn't 460gph seem like an awful lot for a 30g? I have many plants low that might not appreciate the great flow such as Marsilea Minuta, or should I say the substrate is not very heavy and has a hard time holding the plants. Its basically turface or sms type.
Thanks for all the help?

·
Registered
581 Posts
I was hoping more users would chime in this thread...

For size recommendations, this is what Koralia shows

Nano: 15-25G
#1: 25-45G
#2: 37-60G
#3: 50-90G
#4: 75-110G

I don't have a 30 gallon, so that is why I was hoping others would give their feedback.

As far as purigen, I have had no problems with it and have others on this forum use it...I don't remember anyone talking about it removing your traces though.

Anyone else know more about this and want to jump in this thread?

·
Registered
167 Posts
the purigen info on the seachem website says it removes nitrates, etc which is basically the macros i will be adding with ferts. Or am I wrong?
Seachem indicates that it will absorb nitrogenous wastes. That is not the same as absorbing nitrate. Purigen does not absorb dosed fertilizers making it ideal for planted tank applications.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
so the purigen sounds like a winner. I will lose the carbon and add purigen to see how it works for me. The power head is where im still torn. With the Koralia or a regular powerhead from marineland or haygen. I am just thinking with the more traditional kind I can add air or CO2 if i ever choose to go that route, but they are more exspensive. The Koralia is cheaper, moves more water and is less complicated. I am still torn.
How about I give a little info on my tank?
Its 30g heavily planted with a sms type substrate. I have 6 zebra danio and plan to get another 5-7. I was going to purchase some guppies probubly 3-4 and hope they breed. Also for my cleaning crew I was planning on getting 3 otos and 5 shrimp "RCS"
The only concern I have for water movement is the light substrate. That is why my aquaclear HOB is on the lowest setting because anything higher kicks up the substrate. But I also know that otos like water movement and high aeration. But what about the shrimp? and the guppies? what type of water movement do they like? Will any of these things I have said effect my choice at all. Any input will help my decision. Thanks

1 - 10 of 10 Posts