Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do I need ot remove the carbon bags from my canister filter prior to adding ferts? Hadn't heard this before, but I'm going to start dosing new tank today, don't want to waste my efforts/$!!

·
Premium Member
7,436 Posts
Activated carbon removes organic compounds, but I don't believe it removes the inorganic fertilizers we use. A few of the trace elements might be reduced a little, but that should be all. I wouldn't bother removing it. If it has been there longer than a couple of weeks the odds are it is saturated anyway and won't remove much of anything.

·
Registered
584 Posts
I agree with hoppy but if it isn't doing anything I think it would be better to add some biological media, like the fluval ceramic cylinders for better bacterial growth. That is what I did in my canister filter. I have two of the baskets with bio medi. Maybe it doesn't make it a lot better but at least it's not just doing nothing. My 2 cents.

·
Registered
157 Posts
if you want something to polish the water, try using purigen.
impact on trace minerals is minimal.

i use purigen, bio mediea, and filter pads in my canister.

·
Registered
14 Posts
does carbon remove any organic elements that the plants use?

im just wondering because i bought some carbon for my filter and then some one told me not to use it cause it removes something that planst need

·
Registered
584 Posts
divy, most people do not use carbon on planted tanks as it doesn't do much and may remove some of the trace elemnts that we dose in well planted tanks. It does remove organic compounds but if you are doing regular water changes and removing any dead material from your tank it is not necessary.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I went ahead and took the carbon out and put in polishing pad, it's only been a day, really, but no noticeable changes, will keep posted. I'm not too worried about being without the carbon, I'm pretty anal about water changes. Really, though, this tank is so new (just BARELY cycled) it's hard to tell anything yet. I have both bioballs and ceramic rings so biologically it should be OK. I'll report any happenings.....:cool:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts