Aquatic Plant Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay so I am halfway into my first planted tank build and I am still on the ropes as to what carpeting plant I want.
Leaning toward Crypt Parva but worried it may be too slow growing.
Goal: Lower Maintenance carpeting plant, not necessarily low tech.
Around 200 square inches of carpet. On slope.
Fluval 3.0 Plant light with submerged depths of ~12-18 inches.
Sump filter mechanical/biological 4-5 times turnover per hour.
CO2 with reactor.
Amazonia soil with ada ferts ( don’t plan on heavy dosing)
Tap PH 7.5-8, KH ~10, with soil and CO2 hoping for lower PH. Will be kept at 76-78 F temp.
Eventually nano fish, neocaridina, Cory and oto.

Tell me what carpeting plants you like and why?

·
Super Moderator
5,832 Posts
Dwarf sagittaria, S. subulata. Of all the carpeting species I've tried in my Walstad tanks, this is the only one that has survived long term.

·
Registered
22 Posts
You can also consider Micranthemum tweediei 'Monte Carlo' or Marsilea crenata (slow growing but less maintenance).

·
Registered
36 Posts
I actually take a different approach and highly recommend Echinodorus parviflorus tropica. It is a fairly small but broad sword plant that grows 1ish inch tall - shorter than dwarf sag. Really nice looking plant.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I’ve had surprisingly good results with dwarf hair grass even in low tech. Definitely needs decent light, and it did take a long while to spread to my liking, but the results were worth it.

However, I know many others haven’t had the same success as I have without added co2.

But also second Michael’s recommendation of dwarf sag.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Dwarf Sag. Is an idea. You mention Dwarf Hairgrass, and I have thought about that, with ADA soil, medium light and CO2 I think it would be okay. Any thoughts on Eleocharis “mini”? I have heard it may grow a little slower than DHG but will stay shorter.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts