·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
You're welcome!

·
Registered
19 Posts
It has been over a month since I started aerating during night, a lot, and BBA is still around. I wish I could have killed it with your advice to increase O2, but it didn't work for me so far!

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 · (Edited)
Perhaps I wasn't clear enough, I never said it would kill BBA... It reduces the amount of nutrients the BBA lives off. So it will decrease the speed of growth of BBA. Second, it's not just aerating and it stops growing.
It only helps to break down the organics. So a large enough filter to break them down is needed. And reduce the amount of organics produced in your tank; water changes, lower the amount of food, cleaner tank etc.) If you throw in too much food or your plants are dying, aerating isn't going to fix your problem. This is all to slow down growth, none of this will kill BBA (unless the tank gets spotless clean, read: high ORP). In the end you'll need to kill/remove most of it yourself. This thread was all about prevention.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Yeah, sorry, I didn't mean "kill", but at least reduce it. It didn't work out. I have an oversized sump, and filters are always clean. I am working now on turbulence, since looks like BBA may develops mostly in areas where turbolence is highest, which could produce Co2 fluctuations, and in my tank it is actually present just on the front-bottom of the tank where the water gets pushed strongly from the surface, and turbulence is high. I have changed my main pump trying to reduce current and see if that makes any difference. I will keep you posted.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm getting bba on the front glass substrate of my 2 footer. Everywhere else it is suppressed. Turbulence is a good theory. Also had a dying plant when it appeared. This leads me to believe it is caused by water current fluctuations and dad matter

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

41 - 47 of 47 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.