Aquatic Plant Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had Marselia (not sure of the type) growing in my 125g for the past four months or so, and it has taken off in a big way in the past month or so. During this time it has also started to putting out multi leaf stems. My question is what specifically will cause this change to happen...I'd love to encourage it if I could.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
In my experience, Marsilea (crenata?) was a slow grower at first, especially in the higher temperatures prevalent in the summer. When I dropped the aquarium water down to 23C or so, growth was much faster and the classic four-leaf fronds became the norm. The plant became very bushy, growing in the water when no substrate was available, with stems anywhere from 5cm to 14cm high. The runners became invasive, cutting through older, dense areas of Rotala etc.

After a while, the older leaves and runners tend to die back and rot. It is worth removing the old growth (not easy if it mixed in with Eleocharis, for example).

This plant deserves a place in a Marsilea-focused aquascape.

Andrew Cribb

·
Registered
323 Posts
Interesting. Andrew's marsilea looks like the emersed form, with long stems. Marsilea grows as ground cover for me, much like glosso. I do get multi-leaves occasionally, but also on short stems.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts