Aquatic Plant Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,173 Posts
Those are some solid looking aquascapes. It's interesting to see a sort of Pan-American [N-A esque] style emerging. Many of those tanks look like those done by US aquascapers.

I often wonder if South American aquascapers get their stuff from the wild.

Best,
Phil

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi Carlos, hi Phil

We do get some stuff from the wild, but not in big numbers. Our "most prized" collectings are at the moment Ludwigia pantanal and inclinata, and Tonina species. There´s a bunch of another species that some fellows are trying their suitability for planted tanks (I just can´t list them all right now), still not seem yet in the 'aquatic aquarism main stream'.

For those species that I mentioned it doesn´t mean that we provided them to the world, the world has it by another means. We have them now because we did collect them instead of importing them (this is a funny thing, 'importing them'...)

Brazil is a pretty large place and those wonder areas (Amazonia, Pantanal) are located very far from the nation´s most populated cities and regions. Travel to theses places for us can be as expensive as travel abroad. We rely on fellows that live nearby those regions to collect for us from that places whenever they also get a chance, cause even for the people living in Manaus (amazonia largest city) or Cuiabá (pantanal) collecting is not around the corner.

For us residents of the other regions there´s a lot of nice spots close to the cities, also another kinds of ecosystems much nearer to investigate, but we´re still in the process of testing the suitability of those new species. We came across some nice looking ferns and mosses, also stem and short carpet plants, but some didn´t pass the 'aquarium test'.... the search still goes on. Here´s an example:

A nice looking fern found years ago in the state of Rio de Janeiro. Didn´t make in the long run :(

sorry for the darker picture..........was in my beggining of photography.

So 'importing them' now is somehow explained. When we see those pictures of Brazilian species or sites (like that Rayon Verts from Japan), and analyse our 'collecting resources', most of the times is more easier and also more cheaper to get them imported rather than go for it for ourselves. If this place wasn´t so big we surely would have a lot of fun doing this 'hunting' :lol:

Regards

1 - 4 of 4 Posts