Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Today I was doing a water change and I decide to go and renew my drop checker reagent, so I took the adjusted solution having KH=4 done with RO Water and baking soda. I retest the KH for it before placing it in the drop checker and KH was 4 again, however adding the reagent to this, it turns green immediately, it couldn't be!

So I tested PH in the solution and it was acidic, I guess this was done by bateria on the solution when I prepare but even tought it still has a KH=4. Have someone experienced this? Is this an action of bateria in the solution?

I ended up preparing a new solution an efectively I got blue when adding the reagent as it should be.

·
Super Moderator
7,436 Posts
This is a problem I haven't heard of. I think I need to retest my 4 dKH water more often, just in case. I never have tested its pH.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I suspect about it, because I noticed some kind of white film suspend as when you wet a piece of toilet paper within water (Very little but still noticeable in the small jar I hold the solution), so first I tested KH and as it look fine, then I use it in the drop checher, but when I got green adding the reagent I knew something was not right, I even sieve the solution using a coffee filter and tested again and I got the same result....then I suspect about the PH and efectively it shows green so my best guess was action of bateria in the solution.

I am keeping this solution in Gerber Baby food jar. Could it be a contamination by Oxidation of the cup? I just think about it but it is almost for sure that the solution didn't have contact with the cup in the time I have it stock.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts