Aquatic Plant Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it possible to re-use the carbon filter media? I was thinking maybe if I bake it in the oven for a while it would be okay to use again. I dont like it in my filter all the time and only use it when I have to, but its a bit expensive and hate to throw it away. Suggestions?

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sounds good. Im probably going to go ahead and try it, but I cant think of any way to test and see if it will still have the same absorbtion properties....

·
Registered
40 Posts
What about using non-toxic food coloring to test the carbon? It'd probably be best to do it in a container other than the tank, but I'm pretty sure carbon that's working should remove the color.

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My fish all got ich and I was treating with rid-ick and was having a hard time getting the water to clear up even after a 50% change, so I added some AC in the filter to help out. Now im done with it but I hate to chunk it because im poor and it was a little pricey ;-)

·
Registered
147 Posts
But why are you using AC on a planted tank in the first place?
I have a penguin filter running which has a carbon filter...

1) Is this Carbon filter the same as Activated Charcoal?
2) Should I have this filter running at all times on my planted aquarium?

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes its probably activated carbon. I would take it out because it supposedly effects the nutrients in the water. Just about the only good time to use it is after medicating to help remove the medicine from the water.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Thanks Kevin... I have had my carbon filter in always. Is any type of filtration needed on a planted tank? The replacement for my Penguin has the mechanical filter and the carbon packaged together I will have to break the replacement open to get rid of the carbon... is it worth doing this to keep my mechanical filter going?

Here is a link to the description of the replacement filter cartridges.

http://marineland.com/products/consumer/con_cartridges.html

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have a cichlid tank with penguin filters on it. I cut a slice in the top of the floss and dump all the charcoal out. Running water through it helps push all of it out. Mechanical filtration is very important! I clean my penguins once a week. Dont mess with the biowheel though.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Thanks kevin... I got rid of the wheel the day I started doing research... I'll get rid of the carbon as well.

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The wheel is your biological filtration. I would keep it. Without it you end up with your biological filter and mechanical filter as one, which makes things a little more difficult. I would remove the charcoal and put the biowheel back and use it like that.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Well I removed it to reduce surface agitation to a minimmum and have had no problems without it... is Bio filtration really needed on a well planted aquarium?

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Supposedly no but I like to have a safety net just in case. You will probably be fine without the wheel, I just use it because i like to be able to take the pad and rinse it in hot water in the sink, instead of having to use old tank water to rinse it. Really I guess its a convenience thing for me. I have heard of people using them, and also not using them. In the end I guess just use what works for you, but the activated carbon should be removed for sure. :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts