Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This weekend we went away to our family summer home in Western Massachusetts for the 4th July. The house sits on a little lake. As we packing up today I decided to pick some hair-grass and other lake plants to possibly put in one of the tanks. My wife finds a plant and asks me if the one she's holding was nice. Was it ever! :D. I know that Eriocaulon's are indigenous to the New England area, but I never found one. Finally it was my wife to find the first one. We found several species of aquatic grass and about 5 Eriocaulon's. I think they're "Eriocaulon aquaticum", I might be wrong. Please anyone that can correctly identify them please do so. Man I'm excited and hope they'll do well. Next week were gonna do a Fissedens hunt in near by rivers. \\:D/

USDA PLant Identification site;
http://plants.usda.gov/java/profile?symbol=ERAQ2&photoID=eraq2_002_ahp.tif

Here the pic's

Some of the really fine hair grass.

·
Premium Member
2,096 Posts
geez, I wish I could get my wife to find nice aquatic plants, let alone look at one. Nice find!

·
Premium Member
1,403 Posts
wow nice find man what a treasure, you gonna have to point me out that way sometime ;) hehe

I don't know if you know of it went to an area called the fells right outside of Boston which have three huge water reservoirs:
I was able to find two types of what i believe to be proserpinaca sp. and a small area growing with healthy aquatic fissidens. I nabbed some and its growing fine in my tank

·
Registered
766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
geez, I wish I could get my wife to find nice aquatic plants, let alone look at one. Nice find!
hehe, thanks, she says she feels like a celebrity. :D

The question now of course, is how well they will do in a tropical tank...
I hope they'll do well. They're sitting in a sand with fluorite underneath, lots of C02, EI ferts, and 130 watts of light. so we'll see. Hopefully if they start doing well I'll be able to sell some off to you guys.

wow nice find man what a treasure, you gonna have to point me out that way sometime hehe

I don't know if you know of it went to an area called the fells right outside of Boston which have three huge water reservoirs:
I was able to find two types of what i believe to be proserpinaca sp. and a small area growing with healthy aquatic fissidens. I nabbed some and its growing fine in my tank
Out in Western Massachusetts, Orange to be exact. Has loads of state forests, lakes, ponds, and rivers. Were going take the motorcycle out today and see if we can find some fissedens.

Yup I like to biking in the "fells". Nice place loads of fun. Congrats on the fissedens, I'm going to have to check it out if I don't find anything anywhere else.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I've tried Eriocaulon on more than one occasion. It grows like crazy here in Ontario - massive patches of it at my cottage.

I've never had any luck growing it for long periods of time - I'm convinced that, while it is a perennial, it needs the cold winter period to survive. I also believe it may die back to the root system during the cooler months (or freezing up here).

I wish you luck on trying to get it to grow! I should try again, it is such a nice looking plant.

·
Registered
766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I've been informed that it's an endangered species here. Now I know, but I should've looked into it a little more. We actually found them on a boat ramp, where they were laying on the sand. I think a boat must've brought them in or something. I'm happy we rescued them. There was a little die back and a couple leaves melted, it seems they are stabilizing and starting to grow slowly. I hope you're wrong Chris but it makes sense. O' well time will tell.

·
Registered
216 Posts
I have a whole mess of these in my pond. They flower in june usually. I reside in minnesota due east of the twin cities right on the wisconsin border. Having only lived here for about a year, I had not gotten around to looking about the pond. It is mostly swamp by late august and the pipewort grows in the slightly deeper portion past the cattails.Clear water, so I think there must be a small spring that provides just enough water to keep it from being entirely muck by summers end. I do not know if they are protected here or not or if protection applies to private land. Guess I should look it up. Most of the lakes around here seem to have them.

·
Registered
216 Posts
I have checked the Minnesota DNR webpage and apparently it is not endangered here. I will try to get some pictures taken this week. It appears to be seven-angle pipewort. If someone had a genuine interest in these plants and the tank to give them a serious trial and promised to write up the results/follow-up here on APC, I could pull a few from my pond and send them off. I would have to double check with a DNR guy just to make sure it is okay. I wouldnt mind a trade for something but I am not interested in selling them. Other then my pond I will leave the Erios to others. So pm me if interested.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts