Aquatic Plant Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm building a CO2 reactor, I installed a Check valve 6" after my T valve and when I blow threw the T valve the air is very restricted by about 75% going threw the check valve
(25% air flows threw the lines).
When I remove the check valve air flow is almost 100% free flowing.

Do I need to replace this check valve? This is new to me so I don't know how free flowing my lines have to be with a check valve installed on a DIY CO2 yeast reactor.

Help soon please, I'm trying to get this finished so I can install to my tank :)

·
Premium Member
8,540 Posts
I just did the same thing with a new check valve. It drips. I think they just aren't super tight. It depends on how much pressure is on them I guess. I'm not sure if there are better more expensive ones out there. I got mine at a Petco or Petsmart. I use mine on DIY CO2. I've had no trouble.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
They do make brass ones, but I'm not sure where to buy those.

I don't know how good of flow I'm suppose to have, I don't want to much pressure building up in my reactor and possibly cause a problem. Or maybe the pressure it takes to flow threw the valve is ok?

·
Registered
145 Posts
check valves have a "cracking pressure", which is the pressure it takes to allow flow through as it has tension on it to prevent backflow.

I've not seen this spec listed on aquarium CV's, I know you can get low cracking pressure check valves but not sure if there too much for this purpose or not. I use them for automotive applications

1 - 6 of 6 Posts