Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
I started out with 6 amanos and apparently lost one so I now have 5. I then threw in about 8 cherries. And yes the cherries do breed, I now have a lot more than I started with. And yes they do get sucked up in the filter, I have an AC 20 and I have to take the media out and pour the shrimp back into the tank. I wish one of the filter manufacturers would come up with a shrimp proof filter.
Brian

·
Registered
221 Posts
Thanks DBL, that is just what I was looking for. I tried the nylon route but it clogged up way too quick. The AC sponge is a great idea too, but I think I will be ordering one of these tomorrow.
Brian

·
Registered
221 Posts
Thanks for the heads up on the price Matt. And while you were posting the suggestion about buying the different sizes, I was doing just that. I bought a #1 and a #3 so when I get them I will post and let everyone know the difference. As far as a bigger filter causing more resistance, it should be just the opposite. I was thinking more surface area should mean less drag unless the diameter is quite a bit larger and it has farther to suck through. And a 90% clogged large filter won't have any more resistance than a 90% clogged small filter. It will be interesting to see how long each one lasts between cleanings.
Brian

·
Registered
221 Posts
Mine came in today. I didn't get to put them on but here are what they look like.

Both filters are 2 3/4" in diameter. The Max I is 2" long, and the Max III is 4" long. I would have to guess that the Max II is 3" long. In the second picture is a shot of the adapters and elbows. Each filter comes with 2 elbows and 3 adapters. The Max III is reticulated foam and I'm liking it best so far. The Max I is a lot denser foam and looks like it would probably clog faster, not to mention that it is half the size of the III. I will try to install the III tomorrow and shoot a picture of it in the tank.
Brian

·
Registered
221 Posts
Well I got mine in this morning, and I decided to try the III. I was going to mount it horizontally but was concerned about not pulling enough water off of the bottom. So I put it in vertically (I was worried that it would be too long), but it worked perfectly. It is in my son's 10 gallon with an AC 20.

Here is a close up:

Here is a full view. It really doesn't stick out like a sore thumb:

It does take up a little real estate but I figure the trade off is worth it. When I took the HOB off to install the prefilter, there were at least 8 or 9 cherries in it and 3 were DOA. And I just emptied the cherries out of it 2 days ago. I will have to wait and see how long it takes to clog up, but with the bigger filter I expect it to last awhile. I highly recommend this filter.
Brian

·
Registered
221 Posts
At this point I would say yes, but it is a little early to tell since I cleaned the filter when I put the prefilter on. Its funny you mention baby shrimp, I was looking at a larger shrimp on the prefilter yesterday (they seem to love it), and beside it was what looked like a tiny baby shrimp. It was so small I had to get out a big magnifying glass to make sure. It is hard to believe how many baby shrimp I must have been sucking up in that filter before adding the prefilter. I have noticed a significant increase in my shrimp colony just in the 2 weeks since adding the prefilter. If anyone does not have one of these or something similiar for their shrimp tank, be sure and get one.
Brian

·
Registered
221 Posts
Well its been about 6 weeks since I put the III on my AC20 and flow is still excellent. Since I hadn't had to clean the filter, I don't have a report on any babies in it. I will report when I have to clean it.
Brian

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.