Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,540 Posts
If you haven't ordered your pre-filter already, you may want to look at getting them from Ken's Fish. Ordering from Ken's should save you about $3 on each pre-filter.
Matt- what's the difference in the #1, #2, #3. Do they each have the same size tubing intake? If it's just sponge size, wouldn't it make sense to get the largest so that it will clog the least fast- or would the drag be too much on the pump? I have a 29 HOB and have been using little nylon bags. Wonderig if these would clog less fast?

·
Premium Member
8,540 Posts
I'm pretty sure they all have the same size tubing and adapters but I only have experience with the #1 on Aquaclear minis (Aquaclear 20 I think is what it is called now). I'd probably match it to the filter/tank size versus getting the largest size sponge they have. It does make sense to get a larger sponge but like you said, it may be too much resistance for the filter. I do imagine a larger sponge will decrease the flow quite a bit once it starts to clog.

What filter are you using on your 29g and is it a shrimp only tank? If memory serves me correctly, I only had to rinse mine out about once a month but I only had shrimp in the tanks.
I have a 29g (with blueberry shrimp), which is one of those kits from petsmart. It's an HOB. On my 10g (cherries and crystals), I have an aquaclear 20.

Do you think they work better than the nylon bag? I too have to rinse the bags about 1 time a week or more.

·
Premium Member
8,540 Posts
Got mine today! Love it in the 20g.

In the 10g it takes up so much room. Not sure I can get it in there. The real estate value of a 10g is valuable. I guess I have to decide if it's worth rinsing off the little bag every few days. Right now I'm thinking it is..... :D

·
Premium Member
8,540 Posts
The two foam filters I bought are really working well. I do HATE the look of the big foam in my shrimp tank BUT.. since I have added it I have seen teeny tiny shrimplets that I didn't see before. I have had baby shrimp all along, just never seen the tiny ones. I think I must have had some of them going through the cloth bag I had over the intake. If not it sure is a coincidence. They are so small. I too, keep a magnifying glass next to the tank to take a gander at them.

As far as maintenance goes, I haven't had to rinse or anything for 3 weeks (7/8-7/24). That's a lot better than it was before. I would have to keep an eye on the bag covering and rinse it out every few days.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.