Aquatic Plant Forum banner
21 - 40 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
3,819 Posts
Thanks for the heads up on the price Matt. And while you were posting the suggestion about buying the different sizes, I was doing just that. I bought a #1 and a #3 so when I get them I will post and let everyone know the difference.
Hey no problem, Ken's Fish has some great prices and ships quick too. Definitely let us know about the difference in pre-filters, I'm curious since I have only used the #1.

As far as a bigger filter causing more resistance, it should be just the opposite. I was thinking more surface area should mean less drag unless the diameter is quite a bit larger and it has farther to suck through. And a 90% clogged large filter won't have any more resistance than a 90% clogged small filter. It will be interesting to see how long each one lasts between cleanings.
Brian
You may be right, especially considering the #3 uses a reticulated sponge. Now that I think about it, I use the #3 prefilters on my Magnum 350 in my plant tank and I use two of them on the Fluval 304s I have on my 125g Tanganyikan tank. The reticulated foam on the #3s are much more porous than the #1's. I can go 2-3 weeks without cleaning the pre-filter on my plant tank and I've went up to a month on the 125g. I still have #1s running on a couple of 10g tanks and they do need cleaned every couple of weeks but they are now on fish/plant tanks instead of Shrimp only tanks.

ATI's Site has a couple of pics and a better explanation of the filters than I can provide ;)

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·

·
Registered
221 Posts
Mine came in today. I didn't get to put them on but here are what they look like.

Both filters are 2 3/4" in diameter. The Max I is 2" long, and the Max III is 4" long. I would have to guess that the Max II is 3" long. In the second picture is a shot of the adapters and elbows. Each filter comes with 2 elbows and 3 adapters. The Max III is reticulated foam and I'm liking it best so far. The Max I is a lot denser foam and looks like it would probably clog faster, not to mention that it is half the size of the III. I will try to install the III tomorrow and shoot a picture of it in the tank.
Brian

·
Registered
3,819 Posts
i have a penguin mini. ya know how on the end of the inlet tube thers a little cone that keeps large debris out of the filter? would i just take that off and put the sponge in its place?
That is exactly what I did with my Aquaclear 20's. There is no need for the intake strainer section, the sponge now takes care of that.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
i ended up just grabbin a sheet of foam from the lfs, cutting out a strip and wrapping it around the intake. the foam is black and so is my background, so with the plants infront of it you can barely see it.

i put 15 rcs in the tank yesterday and the 3 amanos have paid no attention to them so far

·
Premium Member
8,540 Posts
Got mine today! Love it in the 20g.

In the 10g it takes up so much room. Not sure I can get it in there. The real estate value of a 10g is valuable. I guess I have to decide if it's worth rinsing off the little bag every few days. Right now I'm thinking it is..... :D

·
Registered
221 Posts
Well I got mine in this morning, and I decided to try the III. I was going to mount it horizontally but was concerned about not pulling enough water off of the bottom. So I put it in vertically (I was worried that it would be too long), but it worked perfectly. It is in my son's 10 gallon with an AC 20.

Here is a close up:

Here is a full view. It really doesn't stick out like a sore thumb:

It does take up a little real estate but I figure the trade off is worth it. When I took the HOB off to install the prefilter, there were at least 8 or 9 cherries in it and 3 were DOA. And I just emptied the cherries out of it 2 days ago. I will have to wait and see how long it takes to clog up, but with the bigger filter I expect it to last awhile. I highly recommend this filter.
Brian

·
Registered
3,819 Posts
I will have to wait and see how long it takes to clog up, but with the bigger filter I expect it to last awhile. I highly recommend this filter.
Brian
How has the pre-filter been working for you so far? Given my experience with them I don't imagine you have had to clean it quite yet unless you just want to keep it looking pretty :)

·
Registered
3,819 Posts
The reticulated foam in the III is pretty nice. It seems to allow the smallest particles to pass through and get captured by your filter media but keeps the larger particles (and baby shrimp) out of the filter itself. Are you finding you need to do less filter maintenance as well?

·
Registered
221 Posts
At this point I would say yes, but it is a little early to tell since I cleaned the filter when I put the prefilter on. Its funny you mention baby shrimp, I was looking at a larger shrimp on the prefilter yesterday (they seem to love it), and beside it was what looked like a tiny baby shrimp. It was so small I had to get out a big magnifying glass to make sure. It is hard to believe how many baby shrimp I must have been sucking up in that filter before adding the prefilter. I have noticed a significant increase in my shrimp colony just in the 2 weeks since adding the prefilter. If anyone does not have one of these or something similiar for their shrimp tank, be sure and get one.
Brian

·
Premium Member
8,540 Posts
The two foam filters I bought are really working well. I do HATE the look of the big foam in my shrimp tank BUT.. since I have added it I have seen teeny tiny shrimplets that I didn't see before. I have had baby shrimp all along, just never seen the tiny ones. I think I must have had some of them going through the cloth bag I had over the intake. If not it sure is a coincidence. They are so small. I too, keep a magnifying glass next to the tank to take a gander at them.

As far as maintenance goes, I haven't had to rinse or anything for 3 weeks (7/8-7/24). That's a lot better than it was before. I would have to keep an eye on the bag covering and rinse it out every few days.

·
Registered
408 Posts
The II has the same type of foam as the I but is the length of a III (4"). You can stack them together to increase flow and increase the time between cleanings. With a III on my xp2 shrimplets made it into the canister, so I use exclusively IIs now. The II will keep the polishing pad in a xp filter virtually clean. However, if you do allow the prefilter to become saturated with gunk you will see it collapse down on to the internal frame and it will begin allowing detris to enter the canister.

And for those of you who haven't seen my pic. :p

Just thought I throw my 2 cents in....

·
Premium Member
184 Posts
I am trying to decide which one to get. If I get the filter max 3 can I get away with one on a xp3? Also if I get the filter max 2 is it going to take stacking 3 of them to prevent flow loss?

·
Registered
408 Posts
I don't think using one would drop your flow until it became clogged. Stacking more together will slow the clogging process. The upside is you won't have to clean your canister as often.

If you have good water polishing going on in your canister then I would say you would probably have to clean the canister before having to clean a III. Its more coarse of a material than either the fine sponge or the polishing pad/filter floss. And for me, those are what clog first on my tanks without prefilters.

And as to the shrimplets, I always have the worse luck, so it could just be me as others report no problems. :p

Its not really a bad thing for cherries to end up in a canister. They seem very happy to live inside. You can always dump the canister directly into a bucket when cleaning it. Let the water settle and they'll just be walking around on the muck eating. Powerhead and HOB are an entirely different and horrific story.

21 - 40 of 47 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.