Aquatic Plant Forum banner
41 - 47 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Bump so I have a new AC20 on my 10G and today I just saw my 1st baby RCS, and it went right into the filter,lol. So I turned it off and looked, I saw 4-5 adults and 1 adult Endler's Livebearer in there to my surprise:confused:

So after reading this about the real estate, I'm wondering how the people with the "I" version are holding up? How often to clean. Or maybe I should just get the "III".

·
Registered
3,819 Posts
So after reading this about the real estate, I'm wondering how the people with the "I" version are holding up? How often to clean. Or maybe I should just get the "III".
I used the "I" on my shrimp tanks for about a year and only had to clean them about once a month. I now use air driven sponges (same size as the one) and they have been in use for about a year as well. I sold the "I's" to a fellow SWOAPE member who is still using them on his Aquaclear 20s. So far they have held up almost 2 years.

I have had one in operation on a 10g (with an Aquaclear 20) that has Endlers in it for over two years now. It does need to be cleaned more frequently in Endler tank than in the Shrimp tanks, about every 2-3 weeks versus once a month. I noticed this pre-filter did not flow as well after a cleaning in old tank water so I soaked it overnight in a 1:3 bleach:water solution. It did not harm the sponge (though it will kill off the beneficial bacteria) and returns it to like new condition. After soaking in the bleach:water solution the flow through the "I" is as good as it is without the prefilter on the tank. I'm guessing it will hold up at least another year or so and the sponge alone is very cheap to replace should you need to.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Thanks MatPat! What one are you running on the Fluval 304? just one sponge each? I'm guessing you have 2 304's on the tank?

Well I'm planning on making an order from Ken's. I cant really see how a shrimplet could make it into a "III" sponge but who knows as I have not seen this in person.

I also was going to buy some for my Fluval 304, so I saw the pic about stacking them together and was wondering if they come like that? Does the bottom have a plug or something that you just take out and connect to another sponge? Or was that setup homemade by NoSvOrAx?

So I was thinking about buying 3 number III's(2 for the Fluval 304 and 1 for the AC20) but maybe I should get 2 III's and 1 "II" just incase?

·
Registered
3,819 Posts
Thanks MatPat! What one are you running on the Fluval 304? just one sponge each? I'm guessing you have 2 304's on the tank?
No problem, I'm glad to help. I'm running one III on each of my Fluvals and yes I have two 304s on the 125g. I have a second III I can connect to each of the current ones on the filter but I've been to lazy to do it ;) I'm not sure if it would really help much but I guess it wouldn't hurt.

Well I'm planning on making an order from Ken's. I cant really see how a shrimplet could make it into a "III" sponge but who knows as I have not seen this in person.
I'm not sure if a shrimp can make it through the III but I guess anything is possible. If you are using a Fluval 304, I would think even if they got into the filter the sponges in the Fluval would keep them away from the impeller. I've had cherries live in my Magnums for at least a week but they can't bypass the filter material to get to the impeller.

I also was going to buy some for my Fluval 304, so I saw the pic about stacking them together and was wondering if they come like that? Does the bottom have a plug or something that you just take out and connect to another sponge? Or was that setup homemade by NoSvOrAx?
The bottom does have a plug and they come with all the necessary connectors to link them together like the one in the pic. They also have a separate III that is basically the sponge and the two pieces that go inside the sponge so you can connect it to a III you already have running. Saves a little bit of cash since you don't get all the "connectors" with it...However, they would connect "in line", making one long III, versus the setup in the pic.

So I was thinking about buying 3 number III's(2 for the Fluval 304 and 1 for the AC20) but maybe I should get 2 III's and 1 "II" just incase?[/quote]
I would probably get the IIIs but they are cheap enough you could add on a II just to see which one works better for your situation.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Thanks again!

I was thinking about 2 number"III"'s for the Fluval 304 but I dont like the way they are connected in series. I think making an upside down "T" with them would be better since the series layout seems that the past of least resistance in the 1st one, then when it clogs it would be the next one, ect.. With 2 in a "T" shape they both would be equal in restriction so should clog evenly. I just have to locate the magic "T" piece to make it work.

I'll prob buy 2 for it(304), and just use 1 for now, and then if I find the "T" adapter and notice issues with just the one "III" then I'lll mod it as described above. Although Space in the 55g is at a premium also so hopefully 1 will work or I'll just run the "long" one made from 2 sponges. I guess we shall see.

·
Registered
3,819 Posts
I was thinking about 2 number"III"'s for the Fluval 304 but I dont like the way they are connected in series. I think making an upside down "T" with them would be better since the series layout seems that the past of least resistance in the 1st one, then when it clogs it would be the next one, ect.. With 2 in a "T" shape they both would be equal in restriction so should clog evenly. I just have to locate the magic "T" piece to make it work.
I agree with your thinking but when the first one clogs you can clean only that one, keeping the beneficial bacteria the second one has developed. Simply swap the second one into the position of the first one then put the cleaned one back on the filter. Much less of an impact on your bacteria colony this way though it probably isn't much to worry about on a planted tank, the plants take care of the ammonia produced by the fish.

I'll prob buy 2 for it(304), and just use 1 for now, and then if I find the "T" adapter and notice issues with just the one "III" then I'lll mod it as described above. Although Space in the 55g is at a premium also so hopefully 1 will work or I'll just run the "long" one made from 2 sponges. I guess we shall see.
One has been working pretty well for me for about the past six months or so. I'm not sure they make a "T" fitting for these pre-filters but you may be able to rig one up with parts from the hardware store.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Well its been about 6 weeks since I put the III on my AC20 and flow is still excellent. Since I hadn't had to clean the filter, I don't have a report on any babies in it. I will report when I have to clean it.
Brian

41 - 47 of 47 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.