Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After adding a 1 inch layer of fluorite to my tank, I've lost all of my shrimp. I think when adding it I scattered the shrimp and that @[email protected](&#!#*( CAE I can't get out ate them! When I catch that fish...................

·
Registered
6,380 Posts
Sorry to hear that. Gomer could have a point about them maybe just hiding.

Interestingly enough, you're not the first one in the past week I've heard say "oh, when I catch that #@$%^ CAE"..... ;-)

·
Registered
925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I saw him snacking on 2. Whether they were already dead or not only he knows. I put my net in the tank with an algae wafer. If that CAE even comes close.............................................

·
Registered
3,819 Posts
Sorry to hear about the Cherry Reds.

I read on a website (sorry, I don't have the link) of a unique way to catch unwanted fish in your tank. Some guy who raises Apistos does this to catch his fish for shipping. I think he used live CBW since the movement will attract the fish.

Take a pop bottle, cut the top off and invert the top back into the bottle (makes a funnel like entry for the fish). Put some type of bait in the bottle, submerse the bottle and wait. It seems most fish get into the bottle easy, but can't figure out how to get out of the bottle.

I haven't tried this so let me know how it goes if you give it a shot.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Matpat that way usually only works on Cichlids, it was from a dwarf cichlid site I believe. I have tried that trying to remove an SAE it never went into the bottle I only ended up catching 3 Apisto's in 30 mins. The best way is to go at night when the lights are off and catch the CAE then.

·
Premium Member
7,475 Posts
I have used the pop bottle trap to catch SAE's before and it worked well, however you will catch fish/shrimp that you don't won't to catch, so don't leave the trap unattended.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Also, you might want to check the floor around your tank for shrimp that jumped ship. They have a tendency to get their travelin' shoes on when tank conditions change.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I had a CAE in my tank for a day, before I did a positive ID on it.

I had to strip it almost bare to catch it.

Definitely zippy bastards!! You try using two nets, drive him into the other one?

Anyone ever pay that guy on ebay with the $5 fish catching idea?

-MT

1 - 11 of 11 Posts