Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know of a DIY chiller or some method to cool the tank a few degrees?

·
Super Moderator
6,406 Posts
I've seen a few different methods. Most involve either using fans blowing across the surface of the water cooling the tank much like blowing on hot soup.

Other methods include using small 40$ fridges and drilling holes in the walls then running a hosepipe into the fridge and keeping the excess hose in a coil sitting in a tub of water.

I am working on using a gutted fridge to directly chill the water (putting the metal freezer box into the tank itself).

·
Premium Member
310 Posts
Yesterday we had 95 F and my central air wasn’t working. I placed 2 litters solid frozen soda bottle next to my canister filter (touching its side) and kept an eye on the thermometer. It did lower the temperature slowly by 2 degrees. It stayed 2 degrees lower for about 6 hours, and then I replaced the bottles.
I realize it is a lousy way of doing it and was good enough only for a day. But in case of emergency with the perspective of a cold air coming, it did the trick.
I am happy my air conditioner is working again, otherwise I don’t know what I would do. :D

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So just setting up a fan to blow across the top of the water will cool it from say 80F to 78F or 76F? That's really all I'm trying to get done.

It's 105F outside and 74F inside, unfortunately the tank is along an outer wall and this is an older house.

·
Super Moderator
6,406 Posts
Yep, a fan will lower the temperature by a few degrees easily.

If you are looking for larger temperature drops you'll need a heat transfer system (fridge//chiller).

I also tried the ice bottle method but they melted too quickly at 95F!!! They only kept the tank cool for about 2 hours and the saltwater fish quickly got stressed so I had to return them to the sea.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I have been looking into this myself. Today my tank hit nearly 100 degrees fahrenheit!!! Not good. I was at work or i might have been able to stop it or at least slow it up some. I have put to much time and effort into this tank this time. I think im going to suck it up and buy a chiller.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Shifting the photo period to start later in the day will help.
Turn on the lights in the early evening after the hottest part of the day. This will also reduce power consumption during the peak power consumption hours when the AC is going to run more.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
LOL, good idea jnaz

I opened the back of my Eclipse 2 hood and turned my ceiling fan on high. The tank is now a comfortable 78 degrees. Thanks everyone!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts