Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all After losing 2 whole tanks of Shrimp from what i thought was my own fault (i dosed calcium Hydroxide) i have found out through research and posting that my Chlorine remover that i have been using doesn't remove Chloramines! Which has been corrected i now have a bottle of Prime. But this leads me to another question.

Are Chloramines Toxic or Deadly to Aquatic Plants? I have Such a Hard time keeping plants alive, and im wondering if this Wasn't the problem? I only found one thing on line about it, and from the way it reads it could be what has made it so hard for me to keep plants alive. The article also implys that Root plants are less effected by Chloramines than plants that uptake through their leaves. Any thoughts on this, Or problems you have had?

I wont be Using Wardlys Chlorout anymore that's for sure and they will be getting a less than friendly email from me about this because on the bottle it says Removes Chloramines well it DON'T!

·
Super Moderator
7,436 Posts
Chloramine is a mix of chlorine (hypochlorate) and ammonia (ammonium). The combination is a longer lasting anti-bacterial treatment than chlorine alone. So, water companies love it, and federal regulators want all water companies to use it for our safety. Chlorine is not good for fish or plants, but ammonia/ammonium is a fertilizer for plants, so it won't kill plants in any concentration we would ever see. It does kill fish though, so that is why we need to eliminate it from tap water we use.

·
Registered
326 Posts
I have been using Wardley's Chlor Out with no problems.
On the bottle it says "Neutralizes Chlorine and Chloramines in Tap Water"
Maybe thats not a true statement?

Charles

·
Registered
4,116 Posts
Prime is the most economical product.

But also keep in mind that the water companies vary the amount of stuff they put in the water to treat it. For example on hot days (or a day or two before that) they increase the Chlorine/Chloramine. So adjust your dechlorination accordingly.

A much better alternative to all dechlorinators is an activated carbon cartdridge that you can buy at Home Depot. It needs a housing which is about $30. Looks like this:

The activated carbon removes a long list of chemicals that no dechlorinator ever neutralizes. One cartridge (about $5) easily processes about 500 gals of water.

--Nikolay

1 - 6 of 6 Posts