Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
29 Posts
We all know the adverse effects these substances have on fish, but are they as bad for plants? could a plant die from water that hasn't been dechlorinated?
It depends highly on the water you're using. Nevertheless I don't think any tap water could killed plants since chlorine evaporates quite fast and most of plants can recover even when you think they won't.

I'll second that one. The LD50 for many plants and fish are well below North American and European max chlorine/chloramine levels for tap. Use your water conditioner, aeration, overnight stands etc. depending on which one you've got.
-Philosophos
About American and European max chlorine levels for tap, I can say that here in france, chloramines are currently never used for water treatment (it's forbidden). And in paris, the average level of chlorine found in the tap water was about 0.25mg/L for 2008.
I think I read once that's not a lot compared to what we can find in North America, am I right ?

Anyway I don't know any french aquascapers who are using dechlor everytime they do a WC.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
29 Posts
Ya, .25 is low compared to the .4ppm US EPA max. I can't remember what the regulations are back home in Canada, and I imagine there are worse creatures in the tap water to fear from Mexico. If I only had to deal with .25 ppm chlorine, I'd probably be happy with an agressive pour in to a bucket, and leaving the water stand overnight if I didn't want to dechlor.

I tend to be a purist with my water; I'm soon flipping to tap for the first time rather than pure RO with custom nutrients, and I'll actually be bothering the water company for their yearly min/max/avg levels of everything they test for.

I like to think of tap water as the biggest uncontrolled variable in the tank, with the biggest impact. Entire fert dosing regimens can change based on 1ppm PO4 coming from a new farm in the right place, or Cu leaching in from old rusty pipes.

-Philosophos
Well 0.4ppm is not that big, I thought it was more than 1ppm.. And like I said 0.25ppm is just an average, but it goes from 0.1ppm to 0.4ppm. Personally I do only 30% WC, with half of RO water, so I don't really mind about chlorine.. Moreover when I'm adding tap water I have to first fill a can, then pouring it into the tank, so I hope some chlorine evaporates during that process.

Edit : I found there that the max level is 4mg/L and not 0.4 ?!?
http://www.epa.gov/safewater/contaminants/index.html#1
 
1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Top