Aquatic Plant Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone!

Just recieved a brand new 65 gal tank, a hagen Osaka 260, and I would like to know if anyone here a a good trick to clean the glasses. I try with white vinegar and newspaper but still see a kind of greasy film on the glass?

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
I used windex on the inside, then rinsed the sucker out really really well with the water hose.
Not sure if I'd recommend that method. I've heard too many stories about people washing out their tanks with soap and rinsing them well, only to have the livestock they add die pretty quickly

·
Super Moderator
6,406 Posts
Afyounie I got a vase from my girlfriend for a pair of killies (temp storage tank). The next day the fish had died and all the tests showed insane levels of nutrients (ammonia, nitrite, nitrates, etc...). I washed the vase out very well with clean water but there must have been a small residue left inside that killed the fish.

Wouldn't recommend windex.

·
Registered
429 Posts
I still havn't had a lost of any fish yet due to my method. But then again, I don't put fish in the tank for about a month to let it cycle.:)

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I will not take chances with something like windex. In my opinion, it's too risky for the fishes.

·
Registered
221 Posts
I've always just sprinkled table salt in the tank and scrubbed. Not sure if it will get rid of the film on a new tank though.
Brian

·
Super Moderator
6,406 Posts
Too bad we can't get a hold of ether... That stuff removes organics (like grease/oil) reaalllly well off glass and evaporates extremely fast so it won't leave residue.

Ahhhh well... laboratories have all the fun stuff... :(

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I've tried with rubbing alcohol. I have to admit that glass is more clear but most of the stains are still there. Anyone knows if acetone would be dangerous to use?

·
Registered
70 Posts
I used plain old table salt and lemon halves to scrub the mineral deposits off a used tank, then I rinsed it out with lots of water. It takes some elbow grease but it works really well. :smile:

·
Registered
429 Posts
You may want to be careful with using some cheimcals. Ketones and concentrated acids will degrade silicone. Really, I think that if you just wash the tank out with water and soap, and let the tank cycle, the oil deposits will eventually clear away.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts