Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a "new" used aquarium. The glass has tons of buildup on it and the razor blade just doesnt seem to cut it. Does anyone have any tips on cleaning old aquariums? I have heard that maybe vinegar would do it, but wasnt sure if that would be safe?

TIA

·
Registered
147 Posts
Kevin,

I actually soaked mine in water with Chlorine for a couple of days to make sure any snail eggs that may have been there were not going to cause problems later...

You can use vinegar and or Clorox to clean it... you have to rinse it thoroughly afterwards though.

~Benicio

·
Registered
135 Posts
I'm sure this is probably a no no but my tank had horrible buildups. So I scrubbed mine with CLR. To make sure none was left I left it in the shower rinsing for 30 minutes or so. I was very sure to hit every possible angle.

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I too was thinking of using clr to get this buildup off. Have you noticed any ill effects from using it? It didnt bother the silicone at all? I think I will try vinegar first and then clr if that doesnt work.

·
Registered
135 Posts
No ill effects at all. Just be very sure to rinse and rinse some more. I scrubed with just water to make sure I got it all off. Nothing beats elbow grease. Another thing I made sure not to let it dry. I was afraid of the chemical drying on the tank and then comming off later when I had it full of fish. I tried to see if the fish store offered a safe alternative simular and they told me to use a razor blade. Again it is not its intended purpose so be careful.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts