Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
3,819 Posts
As Bert said, you definitely had/have a case of green water. In my experience, green water is caused by ammonia/ammonium getting released into the water column. It can also be caused by too much light for your CO2 levels...basically not enough CO2 for your light level. I can induce GW in my tank at will by uprooting a bunch of plants and not doing a water change. I can also induce it by stirring up the substrate and not doing a water change.

Clear up what you currently have with your UV and reduce your photoperiod to 8 hours with maybe a 2 hour noon burst and see if it helps. Check out the pfertz dosing recommendations. It appears you are way under dosing your tank given your light level and the fact that you use CO2. They recommend an initial dose of 3 squirts per 10g and then use 1 squirt per 10g every day. According to those recommendations, you should have dosed 9 squirts initially then 3 squirts every day. I've never used their products and can't say if this is for every type of fert (N, P, K, and M) but I would assume it is. Their system seems to take all of the guesswork out of dosing and should be good for people who don't understand how to dose.

I would follow their recommendations for a couple of weeks and see if the tank improves. While you are waiting for the tank results, you can do a bit more reading on micros and macros, ask some questions in the Fertilization Forum, and get a better idea of what each fert will do for the plants. There are plenty of friendly people around here to answer any questions you may have about fertilizers and what not ;)

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.