Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

As I described in my other thread, I recently tore down my several year old 33 gallon planted tank to re-do it with new substrate, etc. I used flourite over a layer of peat. I tried to rinse the flourite as best as I could, but I must not have rinsed it well enough, because the water is still cloudy - it was Monday I changed the substrate, and it's now Thursday. I have an Aquaclear 200 on the tank, I was planning to upgrade it anyway, so tonight I added an Eheim 2213 cannister filter. I left the Aquaclear in place for the time being because after so drastically changing the tank I don't want to have another cycle - I will leave it on for at least a couple more weeks. Is this cloudiness normal - is it something I should be concerned about? Should I have capped the flourite with a layer of regular gravel, or is it fine by itself? Perhaps the cloudiness is from using the wrong kind of peat, or perhaps too much? There's a layer about 1/2 to 3/4" underneath the flourite - it's regular peat moss from Home Depot. I checked to be sure it didn't have any additives, etc., before putting it in the tank. Here's a pic of the way the tank looks now - added some more plants over the past couple of days. Thanks for your help!

Mike

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys - it's still pretty cloudy, but seems to be getting slightly better. Hopefully it will be clear within a week the next week or so. I'll keep you posted.

Regards,
Mike

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, the 2213 has only been on it since Thursday, and the aquaclear is probably 6 or 7 years old... so likely isn't doing much at all to help. I'm thinking it looks more white than the colour of the substrate, so it could very well be a bacterial bloom as Art_Giacosa mentioned. Hopefully it clears soon.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.