·
Registered
1,715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

1ftx1ftx16inch
one 15w light
CO2 injected
Plants: java moss,dwarf riccia,riccia fluitans,blyxa japonica,rotala macrandra

Due to a language barrier, I am posting this aquarium for one of our members. Please provide feedback for him on his aquascape. Also, he would like some recommendations on fish choices.

Personally, I recommend a group of Boraras or Microrasbora sp.

Carlos

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
I like the two types of Riccia together - they look very good.

Ming Han also has a very 'bright' 250 watt rock in the middle which I would replace with: (a) a plant, maybe Anubias sp. Petite, or (b) another dark coloured rock (since the Riccia is nice and bright green).

Nice fresh looking aquarium.

Andrew Cribb

·
Super Moderator
5,865 Posts
Yup, I agree. Everything looks great and then there's the neon white rock right smack in the center. Replace it w/ a darker rock or plant off center just a tad and iit'd look spectacular.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I agree the rock really takes away from the scape.

I feel that if the rock was replaced by another "Riccia Bush" that was equal height and size of the rock it would be perfect. It would add A LOT of depth to the tank which already has a lot of depth.

Just my thoughts.

Robert. (bobo31)

·
Registered
118 Posts
My only problem with the rock is that it is too "clean". I know algae can be a big problem but I think the rock would look a lot more natural if it was green as opposed to white. This makes me wonder if the setup is relatively new or if the owner is just a very good "housekeeper". Some rocks and wood need time to age to achieve their fullest beauty. In this era of "build a tank/photograph/tear down/repeat" I wonder if we give them the time they need to age gracefully.

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I agree with the general consensus. The rock has just got to go, replaced with another mini-Riccia hedge.

To further fine tune this little tank, I would replace the broad leaved Rotala macrandra with either Rotala macrandra 'Narrow Leaf' (magenta) or Ludwigia arcuata to make the aquarium look even larger.

Last, I would trim the front foreground of moss down really short to further accent the 'triangle' of Riccia that would be created if you do indeed replace that white rock with a riccia hedge.

A school of red Boraras maculata or Boraras merah would look spectacular in this small setup, since it is dominated by so many dark, deep greens.

Keep us posted,

Carlos

·
Registered
20 Posts
Thank you for all your suggestions :D ,seem like the rock should be taken away,just for you all a information,that's a crystal which i collected over a mining moutain few years ago.i just bought few tiger shirms for this small little tank.about the rock ,maybe i will replace it with some "dark green" riccia,can anyone tell me the actual name for "dark green" riccia...

·
Registered
426 Posts
cminghan said:
maybe i will replace it with some "dark green" riccia,can anyone tell me the actual name for "dark green" riccia...
Currently, there are 4 growth forms of "riccia" in the hobby, but only three are likely to be of different species. The other is simply a variation due to growing conditions.

(1) Riccia fluitans: this species has large floating thalli that are colored light green.

(2) Riccia sp. 'Dwarf' - this species has small floating thalli that are colored light green.

(3) Riccia sp. 'Dark' - this species has large floating thalli that are colored medium green. It typically appears among the R. sp. 'Dwarf', which makes me wonder if it is of a different species at all.

(4) "Sinking Riccia" - this growth form has sinking thalli that are colored dark green. Its size is dependent on which of the above species has been subjected to growing conditions that induce the sinking behavior. Typically, one can induce riccia to sink by cultivating it in very low light. Once placed under good light, it often reverts back to the floating form.

So to answer your question Ming Han, your "dark green" riccia can be either (3) or (4), depending on if the thalli sink or float. If they float and you discovered them among your R. sp. 'Dwarf' carpet, then more likely than not, it is Riccia sp. 'Dark', a name I just made up to distinguish it from the other three :biggrin:.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts