Aquatic Plant Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am attempting a CO2 system on my 58 gallon tank.. I am planning on having it turn off at night. The local Gas store only has 5 and 20 lbs tanks... originally I was planning on setting up a 10lb system. Now I am not sure if I should move down or up. How long does a tank usually last (average)... is it worth going up to the 20lbs or just putting a 5lbs tank?

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How long would a 5lb tank last?

·
Registered
584 Posts
I wouldn't be able to tell you how long a 5lb tank would last but my 10lb tank has been going for 8 to 9 months with no appreciable loss in pressure. I have a 55 gallon tank running at about 1.5 bps into an in line diffuser (Rex Grigg style). I also have it on a timer, on 1.5 hours before lights on and off 30 minutes before lights off with an 8hour light period.

The time that you get out of a co2 tank will be very dependent on the efficiency of gas diffusion. If you use a less efficient method of dissolving the co2 then you will need to use more bps to get to and maintain the level you want. I have a friend that uses a red sea reactor with the venturi pump on a 75 gallon. His 10lb tank is ready for a change after 6 months.

I think that a 5 would be fine if you are using an inline reactor with near 100% diffusion.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts