Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking into starting a 55 Gallon Aquarium this weekend and was wondering what alternatives there are to CO2 instead of having a tank and feed? I have heard something about Seachem Excel...any ideas? Thanks!

·
Premium Member
4,877 Posts
I've tried excel and DIY CO2 (sugar + yeast method). The excel is much easier and not messy, just pour in the daily dose.

I had great results, and even pearling, with DIY, but it was too much hassel and mess. So, now I just use excel. ( If I had the $$ available to spend, I would invest in pressurized. )

-Dave

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How do I use Seachem Excel?

·
Registered
584 Posts
The instructions are on the bottle but it goes something like this:

Initial dose and at large water changes: 5mL's per 50 gallons.

Daily dose: 1mL per 50 gallons.

Also don't forget the fert dosing regimens. Take your pick in the Fertilizing forum and stick with it. It all depends on the type of tank you want to start.

Good luck and Welcome to APC.

Forgot to say that there are certain plants that are more sensitive to Excel, valisneria beuing on of them. There are many threads on the use of Excel so you can check those out too.

·
Registered
236 Posts
For a tank this size excel will eventually start getting pricey. And even so I would still do excel + diy co2 (thats if pressurized is out of question)

·
Registered
584 Posts
I have to agree with Bk. IME with my 55g I started with excel then DIY and after a couple of months of less than desirable results I went pressurized. The best thing I did for myself! I have had 10lb tank on for like 4.5 months and I haven't even seen the pressure go down!

·
Registered
469 Posts
Depending on the plants you plan to plant in your tank and how fast you want them to grow will determine whether you need to add C02. Some plants need a lot of light and ferts in order to grow well or show off their colors. In order to do this you need to supplement the C02 in the tank. Since I started using excel it has given all the growth and color I currently need or desire. However, the daily dosing does get tedious after awhile and now I'm considering pressurized C02. I would suggest starting out with good lighting, a fert routine, and excel just to see the effect and growth rate does what you want. Remember the faster the plants grow the more thinning, trimming, etc involved. Just my opinion as usual. Good luck.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts