Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so I'm a newbie on most anything with planted tanks. I just bought my first CO2 diffuser about 2 weeks ago and now its not working. Its a glass diffuser with I think a ceramic insert. I soaked it in bleach over night (read online that that's how you clean them), but it still is plugged. The weird thing is that it allows water through (albeit gradually) but air will only go in it, not out. :( I don't know how to clean it further or if the place in China that I ordered it from is just no good. Please help me!!
Scouter

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I tried cleaning it because it got plugged and stopped putting out CO2. I use DIY CO2 and when I took off the diffuser, CO2 shot out of the tube-so there was plenty of pressure. I checked it with an air pump before and after I cleaned it and it still doesn't work. I don't know why/ how it got plugged up- frankly I'm a little frustrated that I have to deal with this after only using it for 2 weeks. I figured I'd have to clean it once a month at most.
Scouter

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok, so I put it in vinegar and left it for a few hours, but still no bubbles. I tried blowing it out as per the seller's recommendation- with my air compressor. I didn't get it to work until I went up to 40psi and it still won't work until then. I don't know what to do- Should I tell the seller that I want a new one? or should I just get a new one from a different seller and blacklist this one? Is there a different remedy that I could use to try and clean it?
Thanks,
Scouter

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm thinking that it might not be fit for a DIY set up, but it did work for me for about 1 1/2 weeks. It was advertised as DIY compatible, but I'm not too sure now. I would think that it should still work. The solution was a new mix and I join a 2ltr and a 3ltr bottle together on the same CO2 line, so there should be plenty of pressure(I would think). I guess I'm just going to buy another one from someone else.
:(
Scouter

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I would really have to change it every 2 weeks? Before I got a diffuser, I just let the bubbles from the CO2 get shot through my powerhead, and there was good CO2 production for nearly a month. I guess that's why I'm so perplexed by this. Is it usual lifespan of the mixes? I guess I'll change the mix, but if that's how often I'll be changing them then I might just switch to a pressurized system.
Thanks,
Scouter

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well its not that I'm worried about having to change a brew every two weeks so much as it is the cost that accrues. I figure after startup costs, it's probably cheaper and easier to just have a pressurized system. Although I still think its cool to generate your own CO2.

Anyways, thanks for the help. I'm probably going to upgrade to a 40 or 50 gallon in the fall so I'll need to get a pressurized system anyways. At least I don't need to buy a new diffuser! Thanks for the advice.

Scouter

1 - 7 of 7 Posts