Aquatic Plant Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not sure if this is the correct place to post this but here goes anyways.
First off my tank specs are in my signature and I will post my most recent water parameters below.

I've been playing around with my method of diffusion for my DIY CO2 for sometime; first just using a regular air stone and most recently a micro bubbler. I have never really been satisfied with the results and believe I'm not getting the proper diffusion I need for my plants in order to prevent algae infestations.
That being said, I recently picked up an interesting tip and I would like to run it by the experts to get some feedback and suggestions.

I read that taking a cigarette filter and placing it in the airline tubing (where the air stone would normally go) would create very minute bubbles and so today I finally gave it a go. The result was a very fine flow of micro bubbles but they were all going to the top. Feeling that I was still not getting sufficient diffusion I placed the tube near my filter intake and now all the bubbles were being sucked into the filter.

Do you folks think this method will provide me with the best diffusion method for a fella on a very tight budget? I look forward to your comments and feedback. Thanking you all in advance !!

Ammonia - 0
Nitrite - 0
Nitrate - 20mg/ltr
PH - 6.0
GH - 5 degrees
KH - 3 degrees

Cheers

·
Registered
697 Posts
some people actually use a bit of a wooden chopstick in place of the cigarette filter. and the method you're doing is fine with have the bubbles enter the filter intake. this would help the co2 dissolve better.

the only issue is that you will need to replace the filter tip occassionally. and if you use the wooden chopstick, you get those for free at most asian restaurants anyway :D

·
Registered
84 Posts
Ammonia - 0
Nitrite - 0
Nitrate - 20mg/ltr
PH - 6.0
GH - 5 degrees
KH - 3 degrees
Nicotine - 5.7ppm
Well, I guess it'll reduce fish stress :-D

In answer, any way you can get those bubbles smaller and flowing around the tank is a good thing. There's a post somewhere on this forum where a guy mentioned using an internal mini filter and rearranging the parts to create a sort of diffuser/mister. I tried it on a ten gallon I have and it works pretty darned well. About the price of two packs of cigarettes instead of one smoke, but hey, you don't want to waste cigarettes do you?! (unless you placed a used smoke in your tank o_O)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
some people actually use a bit of a wooden chopstick in place of the cigarette filter. and the method you're doing is fine with have the bubbles enter the filter intake. this would help the co2 dissolve better.

the only issue is that you will need to replace the filter tip occassionally. and if you use the wooden chopstick, you get those for free at most asian restaurants anyway :D
Hey freydo, thanks for the feedback and funny you should mention I also read about the wooden chopstick method as well as using bamboo both of which are scarce resources where I live....lol Here in Portugal well at least where I'm living there are no Chinese restaurants :(

Thanks again and Cheers

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, I guess it'll reduce fish stress :-D

In answer, any way you can get those bubbles smaller and flowing around the tank is a good thing. There's a post somewhere on this forum where a guy mentioned using an internal mini filter and rearranging the parts to create a sort of diffuser/mister. I tried it on a ten gallon I have and it works pretty darned well. About the price of two packs of cigarettes instead of one smoke, but hey, you don't want to waste cigarettes do you?! (unless you placed a used smoke in your tank o_O)
jargonchipmunk, I would be interested in seeing that setup if you have some pictures. The main problem for me is funds because the main consensus is that using mini filters/power heads to diffuse the CO2 is the best method of all.

BTW, your right today I did notice my corries a lot more relaxed :-D

Thanks again and Cheers

1 - 6 of 6 Posts