Aquatic Plant Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Friends,

I have a few Vals and Anubias in my 4 Feet, 50 Gallon Tank. I have 3 x 30W Flr.Lights.

I really want the Vals to grow well and just wanted to know if my light is enough. Also wanted to know if CO2 is required for the Vals to grow well ? Kindly guide me.

Thanks and Regards
Kush

·
Premium Member
4,877 Posts
IME, Vals are easy to grow and don't need high light or pressurized CO2. At 1.8 WPG, your light should be adequate for them (maybe you won't get much growth, but they should live) . You will need SOME kind of carbon source, whether it be "Flourish Excel" or some CO2.

Something to keep in mind is that Vals can be sensistive to excel until they adjust to it, so make sure you follow the recommended dosings and don't overdo it. With the lower light intensity you won't need much anyway.

-Dave

·
Registered
372 Posts
"You will need SOME kind of carbon source, whether it be "Flourish Excel" or some CO2."
I agree that Val is easy to grow, and that they need some carbon source. However, Val are users of bicarbonates (HCO3-) and that can be their source. Vals are found in hard water, with plenty of carbonate and bicarbonate. If your KH is 3-4 or higher, that may be sufficient. That said, CO2 or perhaps Excel may facilitate more efficient carbon uptake.
--Neil

·
Registered
11 Posts
My vals grew like gangbusters when I first set up my 75 gal, but then the growth slacked off and they all but died. Since I added an inline diffuser (pressurized CO2), I've noticed they're coming back again.

Neil, thanks for the tip on carbonites/bicarbonites. I'll check my KH, as the vals still aren't growing the way I'd like.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts