Aquatic Plant Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
704 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering if adding an extra sponge or switching with a poly pad or filter floss would increase the diffusion of this reactor? I do get 25 - 35 ppm however I am pumping a lot more than a bubble per second into the tank.
If you do not know the reactor I am talking about: its the one with the rio pump at the top with a chamber swirling/mixing co2 with water and a sponge at the bottom. Almost just like the mini vortex reactor except bigger.

Thanks,

Dennis

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
The only way to improve the reactor and get "more bang for your buck" is to make sure that no CO2 is lost from the reactor. As long as the CO2 is not entering the chamber and forcing the water out faster than the pump can replace it, then you are fine. Making sure your pump is not clogged up, clean the impeller, and you should be fine. Replacing the pad in it now with something different could improve the diffusion rate as pussobly more water would be passed through the pump, but unless it is very dirt I doubt it is an issue.

Basically these reactors work by moving water past the CO2 (trapped in the top of the chamber, where the water also enters) so the [email protected] gas can dissolute into the water. The foam or floss in the bottom of the chamber mearly keeps the bubbles of CO2 from being expelled before they get dissolved by the water from the pump. Technicaly, I think, blocking off the end of the chamber would only act to slow the water flow and thus give slightly less Co2 saturation. I could be wrong. A certain amount of water can only hold a certain amount of CO2, the faster the water is replaced in the chamber the more CO2 will make its way into the aquarium. As long as the bubbles of CO2 are not being forced from the chamber before they are dissolved, then its pretty efficient. If you can maintain levels where youwant then, don't worry about it:)

HTH!

·
Banned
2,069 Posts
Slip an elbow in there to make the water go around, instead of down.
You can also add a venturi loop.

Regards,
Tom Barr

·
Registered
704 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Dennis, that summed it up pretty well. Tom, sorry I don't really get what you're saying. If you could, pm me and explain it more in detail.

Thanks,

Dennis S.

·
Registered
6,380 Posts
I've also had better luck pulling the sponge out and replacing it with a ball of Ehfifix (the easter grass looking stuff). At least with my high KH, the sponge kept wanting to plug up, and the Ehfifix breaks up the bubbles very well before releasing it into the water.

·
Banned
1,623 Posts
Thats the Plantguild "Power reactor". What Tom means is remove the Rio pump, and put a small elbow shaped little pipe fitting inside the reactor that when connected to the pump will push the water to the side of the chamber instead of straight down, just like the mini Vortex. I don't think it's needed, but it wouldn't hurt. You should remove the sponge every once in a while to clean it.

·
Banned
2,069 Posts
StrungOut said:
Thanks Dennis, that summed it up pretty well. Tom, sorry I don't really get what you're saying. If you could, pm me and explain it more in detail.

Thanks,

Dennis S.
It's like the PG reactor which is like my old reactor design for the internal.
A venturi is simply connecting the existing venturi or feeding it into the suctioin side of the intake. All you do is add a hole about 2" down and make a simple loop from the reractor chamber to the venturi, this grinds up the CO2 when it fills up to this 2" mark.

This improves dissolution by adding a mist of CO2 once the concentration in the water builds up beyond simple contact exchange.

The elbow helps improve the contact time (makes is swirl in a circular motion vs shooting straight out the bottom) which directly influences efficency. The sponge acts as barrier and reduces flow, unless you clean it often, it can really cause a restriction.

It took me all of 10 minutes to make one out of viewtainer.
I am placing a step by step DIY on my site for this design.
Cost 12$(10$ for the powerhead) looks good, has suction cup on the side etc, or you can buy the PG version if you are no good at DIY and don't want to be bothered.
If you want, you can use an old flourish bottle in place of the viewtainer, but I like the size and look of the viewtainers and for 2$ they are easy to get and worth it.

Regards,
Tom Barr

www.BarrReport.com [/img]

·
Registered
426 Posts
plantbrain said:
This improves dissolution by adding a mist of CO2 once the concentration in the water builds up beyond simple contact exchange.
Tom. What is the maximum amount of CO2 that can be dissolved through contact exchange?

I bubble CO2 through an Aquaclear HOB filter. I adjusted the flow to allow the gas to collect on top of the intake tube elbow before it travels down to the impeller. I thought that by doing so, I would get more dissolution. Is this not the case? I don't test the pH/KH so... [smilie=w:

[IMG]http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/forum/album_pic.php?pic_id=1064[/IMG]

·
Banned
2,069 Posts
If the out flow from the impellar shiot directly doqwn into the tank, that would not be a bad thing, but it sits in the filter. That's not bad per se, but when the CO2 saturation is reached, the method does not gas off the excess.

Filters try to burp off excess, they "blech" etc and kick and scream, so do external reactors to some degree.

Internals are great because they don't have that issue and they work great with DIY CO2.

The internal plan for the viewtainer reactor is up on my site now.
Someone used an old flourish bottle a small powerhead they had laying around. So his was free.

The size of the viewtainer and the powerhead can be scaled up for larger sizes. They make much larger ones.

I'll download the rest of the images tonight and Wed.
You do not need to be a subscriber to see this.

Regards,
Tom Barr

1 - 9 of 9 Posts