Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Banned
2,072 Posts
StrungOut said:
Thanks Dennis, that summed it up pretty well. Tom, sorry I don't really get what you're saying. If you could, pm me and explain it more in detail.

Thanks,

Dennis S.
It's like the PG reactor which is like my old reactor design for the internal.
A venturi is simply connecting the existing venturi or feeding it into the suctioin side of the intake. All you do is add a hole about 2" down and make a simple loop from the reractor chamber to the venturi, this grinds up the CO2 when it fills up to this 2" mark.

This improves dissolution by adding a mist of CO2 once the concentration in the water builds up beyond simple contact exchange.

The elbow helps improve the contact time (makes is swirl in a circular motion vs shooting straight out the bottom) which directly influences efficency. The sponge acts as barrier and reduces flow, unless you clean it often, it can really cause a restriction.

It took me all of 10 minutes to make one out of viewtainer.
I am placing a step by step DIY on my site for this design.
Cost 12$(10$ for the powerhead) looks good, has suction cup on the side etc, or you can buy the PG version if you are no good at DIY and don't want to be bothered.
If you want, you can use an old flourish bottle in place of the viewtainer, but I like the size and look of the viewtainers and for 2$ they are easy to get and worth it.

Regards,
Tom Barr

www.BarrReport.com [/img]

· Banned
2,072 Posts
If the out flow from the impellar shiot directly doqwn into the tank, that would not be a bad thing, but it sits in the filter. That's not bad per se, but when the CO2 saturation is reached, the method does not gas off the excess.

Filters try to burp off excess, they "blech" etc and kick and scream, so do external reactors to some degree.

Internals are great because they don't have that issue and they work great with DIY CO2.

The internal plan for the viewtainer reactor is up on my site now.
Someone used an old flourish bottle a small powerhead they had laying around. So his was free.

The size of the viewtainer and the powerhead can be scaled up for larger sizes. They make much larger ones.

I'll download the rest of the images tonight and Wed.
You do not need to be a subscriber to see this.

Regards,
Tom Barr

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.