Aquatic Plant Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I actually have two questions.
First, for my 180gal, do I time the lights on and the CO2 solenoid open to the same time or do I stagger them. Likewise for lights off/CO2 off. Also, do the regular generic florescent lights that come with every aquarium setup have any real affect on the CO2/ph level or alge? I am thinking of adding these for a longer viewing time. I am going diy lighting for all my lighting and using T5 for my main "day time".

Second, I have decided to turn my current 55gal into a low tech shrimp tank. I have heard many people talk of this site, and this page specifically. www.aquariaplants.com/lowlighttank.htm
Now, what say you to the no water change, the "bio-wheel is ok" part and the peat in the substrate? I had planned on doing mineralized soil.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Lights and C02 on at the same time ..you can do the C02 for a shorter interval I.E 30 mins after lights are on off 30 mins before you power down lights.

No Idea on shrimp tank sorry...

john

·
Super Moderator
7,429 Posts
My opinion: the best timing is to turn on the CO2 first, then after an hour or so, turn on the lights. That keeps the concentration of CO2 in the water during the photoperiod more nearly constant. Then you can turn off the CO2 a half hour or so before the lights go off, or at the same time the lights go off. This depends on how you introduce CO2 to the water. If it is with an external reactor, there is likely to be a big bubble of CO2 at the top which will continue to supply CO2 to the water for some time after it is shut off. But, if it is an in-tank diffuser of some kind, turning it off with the lights is better.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok, thanks guys. I plan on using an external reactor so a half hour prior to the lights going off sounds like the thing to do.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts