Aquatic Plant Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey there, hop esomeone can help me out. i just purchased a 90 gal tank.i was wondering. i have a 20 oz C02 cylinder and a regulator with low pressure and high pressure gauges, and a counter. would that be worth hookin up to the 20 oz ? i currently have 7 amazons swords,a melon sword, a rose sword, grass n a bunched hornwort. just curious. i don't even care if i hafta refill frequently. oh yeah and my lighting is 100 watts.

·
Super Moderator
7,429 Posts
100 watts isn't really enough for a 90 gallon tank, except for plants that tolerate very low light. CO2 is not really necessary for such low light plants, since they grow so slowly they can satisfy their needs for carbon from atmospheric CO2 dissolving into the water and carbon from decaying plant material in the substrate. But, adding CO2 helps almost all plants, even low light plants. So, yes, it could be worth the effort to use that small CO2 cylinder. You do need a needle valve, in addition to the regulator, to control the bubble rate of CO2 going into the water. It won't work at all well without that.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yes i plan on gettin 2 or 4 65 watt lights.... hopefully that will help.....and what's a needle valve , and where can i get one ?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ok, so if i don't need Co2, At what Light Level do i start using it ? and should i still dose them Fert's.... i'm currently dosing, Flourish, and Flourish iron, and tryin to get Excel,and trace. but it's tough to find, impossible in my city. now is it also not necesary to dose if the light level sucks ?

·
Super Moderator
7,429 Posts
You could probably do just as well by finding plant tabs for substrate fertilizing. The swords will grow very rapidly and very big if you provide fertilizers. For that light level you could also just use fish droppings and excess food as the fertilizer. It will be a very slow growing tank, but with all of those swords, fast growth probably isn't what you want anyway.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts