Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 65G hex tank that i will be planting as soon as i understand what im doing. i know that co2 is uber important and i would like to avoid using a pressurized tank option. ive heard of these kits you can buy for aroun 30 bucks that you use yeast and sugar and an airline to get the co2 to your tank but im not sure what products are out there, which ones are reliable, and which ones i should buy, and also if there are any cons to this type of co2 production. can someone help me? also if you can link me to a good product it would be appreciated.

thanks.

·
Premium Member
4,877 Posts
I have 'Do It Yourself' CO2 (which is the sugar/yeast method). It's cheapest because your only expense is the sugar and yeast and some airline tubing. Check out the DIY forum on this site and you'll get good info from there.

The disadvantage is that you have to manage it. You have to mix the stuff (whether you buy a kit or make your own with an OJ bottle and some air-tubing) every 3-4 weeks. You also have what has been called "DIY snot" that forms at the end of your airline and you have to remove it every couple weeks or so.

The advantage to DIY CO2 is, it's dirt cheap and easy. The sugar/yeast kits you can buy are already done for you (no real assembly required), but for a 65 gal you may need more than one.

·
Premium Member
4,877 Posts
Here is a link that might be helpful:
http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/...cts/14453-diy-co2-guide-pictures-recipes.html

Here is how I have mine set up (on page two if the journal):
http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/forumapc/aquascaping/51836-davemonkey-s-50-gal-journal-2.html

However, since I have a larger aquarium than DIY is normally used for, I have switched to 2 one-gallon jugs with 4 cups sugar and 1/2 teaspoon yeast in each. I rotate these out on a 3 week schedule.

Hope this helps.

-Dave

·
Premium Member
5,448 Posts
If $$ is an object, and you do not want to go pressurized, then by all means go diy. Personally, I wouldn't 'buy' diy - it kinda defeats the purpose. You're paying a high price for a little sugar and yeast. :) Check out the sticky in the diy forum for it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have done both for my 55 gallon. The DIY is much cheaper as my CO2 setup cost around $350. However, it is much easier and has been far more effective in getting CO2 into my tank than the DIY system was. The only thing I need now is to improve my lighting situation a little.

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Yikes, $350? Maybe it included a pH monitor. :D

For a basic tank, regulator, and reactor set, expect to spend around $200 or so for a total setup. And for a 42 gallon tank, I highly recommend a pressurized setup.

I know it's a lot of money, but your time also costs money...I'd never want to change out DIY CO2 yeast mixtures, worry about not injecting enough CO2, adding more bottles, etc, etc.

·
Registered
534 Posts
DIY is pain. I did it for a while, I think most of us have and I never regret going pressurized. With the pressurized you can go one to other things in your tank instead of every month messing around with getting the mixture just right. It is also not very efficient but on a budget it can work.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
its gonna have to work for now. i dont know when ill be ready to spring the money on pressurized. maybe ill just keep looking for used equipment that i can get a deal on. for now, DIY is producing enough co2 but consistency is the issue.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts