Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can I just plumb the co2 hose into my return hose? What does a reactor do that this method wouldn't?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Troynel, we're going to need a little more info to give an answer specific to your setup, but the reactor gives the CO2 a place/method to dissolve into the water. Are you using a sump or canister setup?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
im using a sump. Why can't i either plumb the tube into the return pipe or just have the co2 tube right next to the the return pump?

·
Registered
44 Posts
You can certainly plumb the return line of the reactor into the sump pickup, that's what I do. Running the CO2 supply line into the sump pickup will not result in sufficient absorption of CO2 into the water, that's what the reactor is for.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i've been reading about people just using a power head with the ventrui line as their co2 intake. Wouldn't this be the same concept?

·
Premium Member
8,540 Posts
Usually the reactors have bioballs or some other media to trap the bubbles so that the water has a longer contact time with the CO2. The air gets trapped by the balls and small amounts are dissolved into the water little at a time.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts