Aquatic Plant Forum banner

Do you Run Your CO2 24/7? Why?

• Yes I run my CO2 24/7.

Votes: 79 28.9%
  • No. It goes off at night with the lights.

Votes: 117 42.9%
  • I can't my CO2 is DIY

Votes: 35 12.8%
  • Other

Votes: 8 2.9%
  • No. I use a pH Controller.

Votes: 34 12.5%
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
4,146 Posts
I added a poll to make this easier to see the difference with people's opinions, though I think there might be a thread/poll on this subject somewhere.

Anywhoo, I voted No, it goes off at night. Saves CO2, save me money from the refills, and it's not necessary for the plants. I'm not concerned with the pH swings, or anything like that.

-John N.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I just set up a eheim canister and now leave the CO2 off at night also. From what I understand the plants don't need it at night and since installing the canister the Ph doesn't rise too much at night anyway.

Lou

·
Premium Member
6,406 Posts
I use a pH controller, sooo I suppose that counts as 24/7??

Also run it 24/7 on another tank so either way pole result is correct.

I run it 24/7 because I like running it that way, no particular reason other then this way I know there is CO2 in the water at all times. I think consistency breeds success, why complicate things eh?

·
Registered
381 Posts
I'm running DIY so there's nothing I can do about it... and besides, DIY isn't nearly as effective so there hasn't been any reason so far to worry about it.

·
Registered
4,146 Posts
Andrey you're right. I'll add it to the poll although it might skew the results a little, but I think we added it early enough that it won't mess it up completely and still get a good generally idea of who's running CO2 24/7 and only sometimes.

Great feedback everyone keep it coming.

-John N.

·
Registered
367 Posts
I've only just started using CO2, but I can't see any reason to leave it on overnight.

I have pH controller with the switched outlet plugged into my light timer. That way I can always monitor my pH, but there will be no CO2 flow until the lights come on.

I suppose that a fanatic might get a second timer and set things up so that the CO2 could flow a short time before the lighting cycle.

·
Registered
62 Posts
joephys said:
Well, I have DIY, so I can't turn it off. I guess it runs 24/7
DIY-ers and non-solenoid controlled CO2 users can "turn off" your CO2 diffusion by feeding the CO2 tube into a small inverted powerhead that is connected to the light timer.

When the light is on, the powerhead runs, sucking in the CO2 bubble, chopping it into a million tiny bubbles and spraying it out under the leaves of the plants where it get absorbed directly into the plant. This beats dissolving the CO2 into the water and letting the plants extract this dissolved CO2 back from the water.

When the lights go out, the powerhead stops, and the CO2 bubble just rises straight to the surface and gasses out, with minimal dissolution. Making this method a "night cut off device" of sorts.

·
Registered
238 Posts
I have a 5lb bottle and I just set it to one "bubble speed" so it's on 24/7.
I turned it off now, because the plants were going nuts, but I'll have it back with a new layout.

With DIY co2, you could run it 24/7, but you would have to mix it more often...

Matt

·
Registered
66 Posts
I use a controller AND turn it off at night... I have finally been convinced from folks around here that ph swings due to co2, are not the same as those due to dissolved solids and that the fish can handle it... and are probably better off with a break from the co2.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Chemistry lesson!

During the day when plants photosynthesise they use Co2 and emit o2 as a by-product. At night when the plants are 'asleep' they switch to a reverse photosynthesis, using o2 and emitting Co2.

If you keep your compressed Co2 on at night you run the risk of overdosing your c02. Have you ever noticed your fish swimming or gasping at the surface in the morning? fish that usually stick to the bottom regions, swimming up to or hanging around the surface in the morning? Chances are its a Co2 overdose.

A good idea is to set an air pump to switch on half an hour after your lights and Co2 turn off; and switch off half and hour after lights and Co2 are swithched on in the morning.

Oh and if you have diy Co2 please do not switch it off at night (or any time for long periods) unless you have some sort of pressure release system or you bottle will go BOOM!:eek:

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
i have mine switching with the lights, i have no fish in there so i dont really care about ph swings.

as for diy, unless you are pulling the hose and letting it vent into the atmosphere i dont see how you are turning it off and the mixture would last about the same regardless if its pumping into the tank or not.

·
Registered
612 Posts
During the day when plants photosynthesise they use Co2 and emit o2 as a by-product. At night when the plants are 'asleep' they switch to a reverse photosynthesis, using o2 and emitting Co2.

If you keep your compressed Co2 on at night you run the risk of overdosing your c02. Have you ever noticed your fish swimming or gasping at the surface in the morning? fish that usually stick to the bottom regions, swimming up to or hanging around the surface in the morning? Chances are its a Co2 overdose.
After switching to a drop checker to monitor CO2 levels I have noticed that when running the CO2 24/7 the reading is the same 24/7 there is no change from lights out to lights on. My theory is that the plants use and produce such a small amount of CO2 compared to the amount we put into the tanks that it doesnt actually change the overall CO2 level in the tank. the out gassing of CO2 into the air is by far the largest user of CO2.

Any thoughts

Brian

1 - 20 of 43 Posts