Aquatic Plant Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I am currently using a pressurized CO2 system with reductor, electromagnetic valve and needle valve.

Suprisingly for me the bottle started to release gas without any possible reason that I can imagine. The gas was coming from the area I have marked with red on the picture. (My system is similar to the one on the picture)

What can be the reason?

There was a drop in temperature in the room because I opened the door and it was pretty cold outside.

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

·
Registered
49 Posts
It loks like it was released out of the pressure relief valve. As to why, not sure what would have caused the pressure to increase in the cylinder enough to activate it

·
Registered
9 Posts
As fwdixon said, it looks like the over-pressure burst disk. But, does the leak stop when you turn the valve off?

If it does, it's not the over-pressure disk. The over-pressure disk needs to protect the cylinder whatever position the valve is in, so the valve will have no effect on it.

Is it leaking slowly, or venting very quickly with lots of noise?

A burst disk letting go usually makes a loud pop followed by a lively, ear-ringing hissing. Disks can fatigue and crack with age, as they flex and wear while the tank is filled and discharged. If your rig is fairly new it's more likely someone installed the burst disk incorrectly. They must be torqued; someone with a big wrench and no clue could have damaged the disk by over tightening it.

Odd that this would happen with a decrease in temperature. Maybe dissimilar metals cooling at different rates was just enough to make the problem appear?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It was venting very quickly for just a few minutes. The noise was fairly loud and then it just stopped without any possible reason. I did not even touch the system and it stopped.

I opened the door to the balcony for around 5 minutes and very cold air came into the room. Then the sound started a few minutes later and stopped after no more than 2-3 minutes.

The CO2 system works ok these two days since then and is working perfectly right now as I am writing.

I completely agree with Bonsai Swamp that the reason is probably dissimilar cooling of the metals.

I hope the problem will not appear again.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Very odd. Burst disks aren't designed to re-seal. They pop once, empty the cylinder, and need to be replaced before the cylinder can be re-filled.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I just checked the manometer that is showing how much gas I have left in the bottle and it is half empty.

I filled the bottle around Christmas and it should be almost full now.

Tomorrow I will post some pictires of my system and will check everything again.

thanks

1 - 6 of 6 Posts