Aquatic Plant Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone heard of or ever used the Hydor CO2 Green system? It uses disposable cartridges of CO2 that are supposed to last for 260 days @4 bpm.
The cartridge replacements are about 20.00 dollars each. Which CO2 system do you recommend to a beginner in terms of ease of usage and cost? Thank you

·
Registered
144 Posts
thats 1 bubble every 15 seconds. That might be ok for a 1/2 tank. Not cost effective if you ask me. DIY CO2 will give you more than that.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My tank is only a 20L and I am in the process of setting it up. I am going to do a diy system to begin with but, after reading on this forum have decided that sooner or later I will need a pressurized system. If my 20 does well I have a 55 gallon tang tank that I'd be willing to convert!

·
Super Moderator
7,429 Posts
Pressurized CO2 systems are all about the same, so any of them is equally easy for a beginner. They all use a regulator, a needle valve, a bubble counter, and usually a solenoid. Paying a higher price gets you better quality, as a rule, but the devices are still the same. When it comes to the reactor or diffuser, there are lots of differences, but most of them can be made to work well enough. The DIY external reactor is the simplest and cheapest effective device.

A beginner, if not all of us, do best to get an assembled regulator containing a pre-installed needle valve, bubble counter and solenoid. Those range from the cheap Milwaukee type to the very good Rex Grigg type.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you Hoppy! So when I order one at least I'll know what it should have. So where do you get the co2 tanks? And where do you get them refilled? I live in Mo in a very rural area. I'm worried that it may be difficult to find one and find a place to fill it.

·
Super Moderator
7,429 Posts
I get my CO2 from a fire extinguisher servicing place. I just walk in with the near empty tank and they refill it while I wait. I suspect if you live in a rural area that is not in easy driving distance to a city you will want two tanks, keeping one full and the other in use. Then, you could have the empty one trucked to a place that refills them and returned - some stores here even do that.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts