Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
5,309 Posts
I found mine here in Seattle on Craigslist. Just searched for "CO2" for about a week, lots of paintball tanks but finally found a guy who used to brew beer who was selling 2 - 5 lb and a 10 lb. You might try Craigslist.

·
Registered
2,576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, I want to find a place to buy one so when the tank is empty, I can go back and refill it.

·
Registered
3,819 Posts
Is Dayton close enough? We (SWOAPE) have a 15lb CO2 tank for sale for $75. It does have some CO2 in it but I'm not sure how much. Most welding shops do refills on CO2 tanks. I don't know anywhere in Cinci off of the top of my head but I'm sure someone else will chime in with a refill location. You are more than welcome to attend our April meeting on the 19th and check it out for yourself.

What part of Cinci are you in? That would be a big help for refill recommendations :)

·
Registered
601 Posts
I think MatPat might have an extra one. You can either PM him or he'll see this thread soon. I get my CO2 tanks refilled at Sparkling Carbonics on Glendale-Milford Rd. I would get no smaller than a 10lb tank. It's twice as big as a 5 and the cost to refill it is darn near the same as a 5. I recommend getting 2 tanks so that you have an immediate backup.

·
Registered
964 Posts
Check Sparkling Carbonic on Glendale Milford road near Rt 4, it's just a little bit west of I-75. Wardway on the corner of Bridgetown and Glenway also sells CO2 tanks, that's where I get mine and I have 2.5#, 5#, and 10# tanks.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I used Valley National Gases a few years back. Haven't need a refill yet, amazingly. Though my CO2 has spent most of it's time in storage. There's one up in Hamilton on Tylersville Road, and one right in Cincinnati, not too far away from UC and such. It was $86 for a 5# CO2, filled I think. Refills there were $8-something last time I checked, but this was a few years ago.

I might have to give the Sparkling Carbonics place a check though. The 5# is the biggest I could get away with still living at the parents house. Me and a 10# CO2 tank would've been living out in the street ;) Especially since I finally convinced Mom to let me setup a 20 gallon in addition to my 29.

A 5# split between a 29 and a 20 gallon shouldn't be too bad though. Honestly, driving to get a refill every 3 months wouldn't bother me, especially if the place is close.

·
Registered
3,819 Posts
A 5# split between a 29 and a 20 gallon shouldn't be too bad though. Honestly, driving to get a refill every 3 months wouldn't bother me, especially if the place is close.
Dude, I sure hope a 5lb tank is lasting you longer than 3 months ;) A 5lb tank on my 75g lasts over 6 months and I know it has been over a year since my last refill on the 10lb tank on my 75g and it is still showing full on the gauge.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Dude, I sure hope a 5lb tank is lasting you longer than 3 months ;) A 5lb tank on my 75g lasts over 6 months and I know it has been over a year since my last refill on the 10lb tank on my 75g and it is still showing full on the gauge.
Yeah, gauges haven't dropped yet. I probably have only used it for 3 months total on a solenoid. It's been sitting around for about 6 months unused now with the regulator on. I have a bad feeling I'm going to turn the solenoid back on and it's going to shoot across the house and kill the dog or something. ;)

·
Registered
167 Posts
Going to have to reincarnate a dead topic here a bit.

Has anyone had any experience "trading in" a smaller CO2 tank for a bigger tank? Turns out I can fit a 10# tank underneath this stand quite easily, and if 5# is good, 10# must be better.

If not, if SC hasn't gone up in price, $50 for a nice filled shiny 10# tank isn't bad. Not too sure how the parents would feel about keeping a 5# "spare" CO2 tank in the basement though!

·
Registered
3,819 Posts
No experience trading around here.

However, A 10lb tank will last twice as long and it is only a buck or two more than a 5lb refill. cheaper. $50 is a great price on a new filled cylinder and don't tell the parents about your spare...it's always better to beg forgiveness than to ask permission ;) My spare tank has come in handy on more than one occasion.

·
Registered
3,819 Posts
$30 for a filled 10lb tank is a great deal!

Now ya just need to post some pics of your tank, aquarium that is ;)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts