Aquatic Plant Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
thinking of switching from diy co2 to regulated tank. it's getting to the point where it's too much hassle to do mixes and having inconsistent and uncontrolled co2 supply. any place you guys suggest i would look for it? from what i gather, i'd need a tank, and a regulator. would i also need a bubble counter?

thanks!

·
Registered
466 Posts
thinking of switching from diy co2 to regulated tank. it's getting to the point where it's too much hassle to do mixes and having inconsistent and uncontrolled co2 supply. any place you guys suggest i would look for it? from what i gather, i'd need a tank, and a regulator. would i also need a bubble counter?

thanks!
Get a cylinder online, way cheaper. I got mine from catalinacylinder.com. You may want to pm travis.808, I think he had an extra 5lb. tank. Then get a regulator from rex, gla, or sumo. Got mine's from sumo. You won't be dissappointed with any of their regulators. As for the bubble counter, you can have any of the above mentioned to put a bubble counter on your regulator, get an inline glass one, or just diy. Technically speaking, you don't need a bubble counter. It'll all work without one. But, you are gonna need one so you can adjust your co2. I don't know if you got one, but a drop checker would benefit also. Then all you need is a reactor of some sort if you don't already have one. If you need a reactor, I got an extra diy inline reactor laying around.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for the reply. now what size tank should i get? how long would that 5lb typically last?

plus, i'm thinking of sticking with my glass diffuser and just getting an inline glass bubble counter.

·
Registered
158 Posts
That's http://www.catalinacylinders.com/ I'm pretty sure, check me on that if you would.
I'm not clear where you'd actually order from. I'm interested in finding a good online source for a 5lb. tank.

Get a cylinder online, way cheaper. I got mine from catalinacylinder.com. You may want to pm travis.808, I think he had an extra 5lb. tank. Then get a regulator from rex, gla, or sumo. Got mine's from sumo. You won't be dissappointed with any of their regulators. As for the bubble counter, you can have any of the above mentioned to put a bubble counter on your regulator, get an inline glass one, or just diy. Technically speaking, you don't need a bubble counter. It'll all work without one. But, you are gonna need one so you can adjust your co2. I don't know if you got one, but a drop checker would benefit also. Then all you need is a reactor of some sort if you don't already have one. If you need a reactor, I got an extra diy inline reactor laying around.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
doing a search, people recommended looking into local fire extinguisher shops. aluminum or steel doesn't matter (aluminum is more expensive tho). any local shops here would ba a good source? i'm thinking about places where you get it refilled. they most probably sell tanks, too.

·
Registered
5,307 Posts

·
Registered
5,307 Posts
Actually, I lurked on the local Seattle Craigslist and picked up a regulator for $50 and a 5# tank for $40, but it took a couple of months.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Back when I was shopping for a cylinder, the only bad thing with beveragefactory was that they only ship using ups. For HI it's hella expensive.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
i haven't bought one yet. shop suggested i run a good filter first and i thought about it, too. will do diy co2 til i get a good running filter system. was thinking of the eheim canister filters. hehe

·
Registered
428 Posts
Good filtration is a good start but depending on your lighting and plants you may need co2 quite quickly. Eheim's are supposed to be like BMW's so should be good. I personally run a magnum 350 about half the price seems pretty efficient too. More like a Honda. Anyway good luck with your search you may also want to keep in mind the shipping time for a co2 tank, regulator, needle etc. If you find you need co2 you might have to dose Flourish while waiting can get expensive.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
i just looked at regulators and it got me confused. some have the electric solenoid which bumps up the price to more than $100!!! i found some manual regulators which goes to just around $50. what does the electric solenoid do anyway? is it necessary?

·
Registered
171 Posts
A solenoid should turn on and off the flow of CO2 based on the electricity flowing to it. Its useful when you have a pH regulator or a timer to turn it on and off, with the lights for example. At least that is how I understand its use :).

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
so it goes with the issue/argument of having co2 24/7 or with the lights... hmm... now i'm more confused...

·
Registered
171 Posts
theres a milwaukee regulator/solenoid/needle valve/bubble counter combo for like 80 or 90 on ebay i think. Check it out :)

1 - 20 of 31 Posts