Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a pressurized Co2 system; and the regulator came with an electric valve - should I have it plugged into a timer? My 90 gallon aquarium has a minor Ph issue, but the Ph straight from the tap here is about 8.5 or so - REALLY high. Right now, I have about 2 bubbles per second going into a reactor (red sea?).

How many folks leave the Co2 on 24/7 and how many people have it on a timer where it operates with the lights?

Rob

·
Registered
66 Posts
I think it's good to turn it off at night for two main reasons: 1) plants are giving off CO2 at night, as are the fish, so it's easier on them at night w/o CO2 coming in. Many people run it 24/7 without issue, but it would make me nervous for as much as I inject during the day. 2) plants don't need it so it's pretty much wasting the gas. Some will say gas is cheap, who cares, but the less often I have to pack the canister to the fire ext. shop the better! Personally I time mine to come on 1hr b4 lights on and off 1/2hr b4 lights off, but that's me, many people have other strategies that work just fine. you can get a timer for that for $6 or $7 at any hardware store. I run about 5 bps or so, hard to say for sure at that rate. The tell tale indicators are good plant growth, little algae (assuming good nutrients, etc) and no stressed out fish. HTH!

·
Registered
584 Posts
I turn mine off at night same as abc.

Are you using a drop checker with 4dkH solution inside it? It just seems to me that 2bps into a red sea reactor is extremely low for a 90 gallon tank. I use about 1.5 bps into a Rex Grigg style pvc reactor and have just the right amount of CO2 in my water.

I would also suggest letting your tap water sit overnight and then check the pH. My tapwater comes out at around 8ph and after sitting it is down to 7. My kH is around 2 so I add enough baking soda to bring it up to 3d kH and I run my tank at about 6.1ph during the day with CO2.

·
Premium Member
3,373 Posts
Although I'm not a hugh fan of polls, this link shows the results of a poll conducted among APC members on how they run co2.

http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/forumapc/poll.php?do=showresults&pollid=194

Many things in this hobby can be done different ways with success. Many times water, fishload even lifestyle play a role in what works for someone. I feel better running mine only when the lights are on because I feel it's simply a waste and if you add fish you don't know how they might react. Another reason to run only during the day is the cost. My supplier just got the approval to rise co2 prices. A typical 5lb cansister increased from $10 to $15 to fill.

·
Premium Member
16 Posts
I too turn my Co2 off at night (unfortunately I'm also a procrastinator and dont yet have a solenoid so I do it manually) I mainly do it to conserve the gas.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've been measuring the Ph/Kh twice a day and I can assure you that 2 bps isn't enough to make a dent on a 90 gallon! I'm upping the bps each day (now up to about 5 bps); I don't want a drastic change and/or massive fish loss. Also - it's plugged into a timer now too!

·
Premium Member
16 Posts
Keep an eye on your fish if you dont have an indicator that will let you know at a glance what your levels are, if they start all (or even a particular species or group) hanging around the top surface of your water you may have too much CO2. I would not use this as a primary way, but I have noticed that when my levels get up a bit and my indicator starts getting a tint of yellow many of my fish start hanging around on the surface.

·
Registered
697 Posts
well i guess i'm the only one posting here to inject co2 24/7. but mind you i inject at a rate of ~1.5 bps into a very efficient co2 reactor for a 65 gallon tank.

as houseofcards posted it all comes down to the specific conditions of any particular tank. no two tank will be exactly the same.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts