Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
is there anyone here who collects in coastal georgia, I live in Savannah and would like to know where to collect. I've got a 75 gal tank I'd like to use just local plants and fish in.

·
Registered
542 Posts
plants and fish in Georgia

Hi Jim,

There are only a few members to the list right now. From what I have read you are in a good location for finding local fish and plants. I have two books that list locations, and many of the locations for fish and plants are either eastern US, or SE US. I use the Peterson's "Freshwater Fishes" field guide. It has location maps for all the fish included. "Aquarium Plants" by Christel Kasselmann has general location descriptions for plants. I would go through the book or books and write down the names of all the plants in your general region. Then go to an on-line database and find which of these plants reside in Georgia. I have the database info on my links page of my web site. There seem to be a lot of plants from Ga that I'd like to have. I'm sure we will start trading plants soon.

What you need to do is learn how to look. You have probably been passing by these plants all your life but not recognizing them. It takes time to train yourself to find potential aquatic plants. Then you have to take them home and plant them in your tank to figure out what they are. In Corpus Christi, TX there isn't a lot of fresh water so the sword plants and Ludwigia I found in Houston are much harder to find down here. It makes it more challenging.

Regards,
Steve Pituch

·
Banned
2,069 Posts
Anytime Jim,

I go out collecting quite often. I'm after a number of things, but can find a good amount in various rivers here. I'm about 2 hrs or so away in Gainesville. There's a native fish bunch that goes to the local swamps up there, road side ditches are excelllent, but are dry this time of year, you can find L. repens, mermaid weed, some lizard's tail this time of year. Closer to the coast, the better during this time of year.

If you want to collect down here, I can take you to several different places, Rainbow river is fun, Santa Fe is good also.
It'll be a canoe type trip. There are many pools to pick from along sides of roads, you can try there.

There's a group(NFS) up north in your region that collect fish and there's a few down in the Tampa region.
One of my cohorts is an Fish person here at UF.

Regards,
Tom Barr

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
stalking the wild plant

Hi Tom, Thanks for aswering. Actually you kinda know me, I'm the one who bought your surge pump and balls(not going to touch the old joke.) I've got a grandkid whos wanting to hunt down some native plants and fish. I'm going to set up a 75 gal and try to make an aquarium beutiful out of it. I was looking especially here local. Is your trip to the keys still on?..thanks Jim

·
Banned
2,069 Posts
Yes, plantfest is on for first week in June.

First half 3 days is FW, you can collect at at least 3 sites and see many in natural sites till you are blue in the face:)

Second half is the Marine version, in the Keys.

Head on over to the swamps west of Savannah, bring a shrimp net etc, get at least 2-3 of them and go to town.
Fine mesh nets are also good for catching the pygmy sunfish, a very nice little native fish.

Regards,
Tom Barr

1 - 5 of 5 Posts