Aquatic Plant Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I collected this plant in Trinidad. By all descriptions it appears to be Egeria densa. However, I simply can't feel comfortable calling it this since I've been growing it at 83F water and I know real Egeria densa tends to die off at temperatures significantly lower than this.

Is this Egeria densa or a variant that can tolerate very warm waters? Or perhaps a totally different plant altogether? Could this be hydrilla verticillata?

·
Registered
64 Posts
It looks kind of like egeria najas only darker. I don't know what range of temperatures that can survive in.

·
Super Moderator
6,406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I see that Hydrilla produces little root tubers. I haven't seen mine form these yet. I can't seem to find any info on how long it takes for them to form the tubers though. Do you think they may take a while to form?

·
Premium Member
4,877 Posts
I see that Hydrilla produces little root tubers. I haven't seen mine form these yet. I can't seem to find any info on how long it takes for them to form the tubers though. Do you think they may take a while to form?
I suppose it could take some time, but I really don't know. How long does it take the usual aquatic plant to form a mature root system (I'm assuming the tubers would be on mature root systems) ?

·
Super Moderator
6,406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Hmm good point. I'm not really sure either. I've had 1 stem rooted in my soil substrate tank for 6 months now and it hasn't developed any tubers. The rest of the stems were all grown floating.

The rooted stem only had 3 or 4 long roots, about 6 inches in length with lots of root hairs. I don't think it is Egeria densa based on the way the root looked since I haven't seen anacharis grow fuzzy roots. I'm not sure if the 3-4 roots is a mature root system though.

I did notice that in a youtube identification video it mentioned hydrilla has a little barb on the leaf midrib. I don't recall noticing it in my last casual inspection of the plant, but then again I wasn't specifically looking for it since I didn't know it was particular to hydrilla. I suppose I'll have to inspect it next time I go home, or to my soil tank in admissions.

Here is a picture of the leaf close up.

·
Super Moderator
6,406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Fascinating info! Thanks.

I think it is hydrilla too, but I want to check for the midrib barbs before committing to hydrilla.

I haven't seen it for sale anywhere, do you think it is illegal in most states, or just not very useful in aquascaping?

·
Premium Member
5,448 Posts
It's one of the Federal Noxious Week list. Here in Florida, it has been known to choke nearly entire lakes and large stretches of rivers.

·
Super Moderator
6,406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Heh, heh, heh.... lots of plants are on the noxious weeds list - but that doesn't stop people from selling it :) It wouldn't be invasive if people didn't release it into the wild :)

Strangely enough my inbox has space for PMs :D

1 - 13 of 13 Posts